Search the forum,

Discuss Leak on hot water ch tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a 40 y old ch that has developed a leak on and around the ' feed ' pipe connection joint ' ( about a foot from the bottom of the tank.I tried to tighten but impossible to move and probably split the washer ? Hence slight drip which I have tried Heath Robinson style tried to seal ! Could the forum reccomend a sealant reccomend a sealant that would do the trick if there is one.Dont want to do anything drastic like changing the cylinder we can live atm with the drip, have a good day all.

Good afternoon John,

you’ve mentioned several terms there, but what I deduce is you have a leak on your copper cylinder? If you can post a photo of said leak, we can advise better.

As you can see the sealant I have botched it with ain’t good enough

Attachments

• 0D92DB17-6A87-4227-8796-66F65D1DF357.jpeg
    0D92DB17-6A87-4227-8796-66F65D1DF357.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 30
  • C097F0D1-1A5D-4771-9CA7-7253E8479CDD.jpeg
    C097F0D1-1A5D-4771-9CA7-7253E8479CDD.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 31
We can live with a minor leak , is there no sealant on the market I could use to improve the job and delay replacing the cylinder.
Not sure if this is any good,

Fernox LS-X Leak Sealer 50ml - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/fernox-ls-x-leak-sealer-50ml/23614?tc=MC6&ds_kid=92700055281954514&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=CjwKCAjwqvyFBhB7EiwAER786VgsyZItMDo6htpyYsMwdD9uJdxJcb3g35a4euve0UZqqPfqryqx9BoCONMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds I’ve never used it.

or try this maybe: Silicone Temporary Repair Tape (WRAS Approved) - https://www.corgi-direct.com/silicone-temporary-repair-tape-17919-3421911

New cylinder as the one you have is the very old type that you had to cut the heating coil into yourself

Not sure if this is any good,

Fernox LS-X Leak Sealer 50ml - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/fernox-ls-x-leak-sealer-50ml/23614?tc=MC6&ds_kid=92700055281954514&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=CjwKCAjwqvyFBhB7EiwAER786VgsyZItMDo6htpyYsMwdD9uJdxJcb3g35a4euve0UZqqPfqryqx9BoCONMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds I’ve never used it.

or try this maybe: Silicone Temporary Repair Tape (WRAS Approved) - https://www.corgi-direct.com/silicone-temporary-repair-tape-17919-3421911
The fernox stuff is basically like silicone. I’ve used it like compound on olives etc but never externally (can’t imagine it holding up to any sort of pressure).

A product called gaffer stick is good, basically a ‘chemical metal’ two part epoxy stick which you knead to mix the two components.

I used it to repair pinholes in a copper cylinder- it appeared to just lie on the surface with no adhesion and I was disappointed, however after a while it set up hard and was stuck immovably in place. It has since lasted years , in fact I’ve done myself out of a scrap cylinder and a days work replacing it!

Bad news looks like hot water cylinder has an internal leek as water backfilling expansion tank and dripping thro overflow ,is there any way of stopping the expansion tank level overflowing other than manually with bucket , i.e running hot water ,turn ing mains off until we get new cylinder fitted .Cheers everyone

If that's the case, isolate the cylinder at the inlet gate/lever valve and stop using the hot taps. The cylinder won't have pressure to force into the primary circuit. May result in some dirty heating water getting into your cylinder, but that's scrap anyway and you aren't using it.

Bad news looks like hot water cylinder has an internal leek as water backfilling expansion tank and dripping thro overflow ,is there any way of stopping the expansion tank level overflowing other than manually with bucket , i.e running hot water ,turn ing mains off until we get new cylinder fitted .Cheers everyone
How sure are you? What’s your heating circuit? Gravity (little tank in the loft) or pressurised (need to top up the pressure with the filling loop)?

It could be a mains water connected tap/shower letting by and back filling the cylinder/tank.

If you’re heating system is gravity, that won’t be back filling (no pressure).

If it’s pressurised, dump the pressure in the heating system to see if it stops back filling.

If it doesn’t, a second test is to shut off the mains to the house and open the kitchen tap to drain the mains pressure from your system. If it stops back filling something is letting mains in.

How sure are you? What’s your heating circuit? Gravity (little tank in the loft) or pressurised (need to top up the pressure with the filling loop)?

It could be a mains water connected tap/shower letting by and back filling the cylinder/tank.

If you’re heating system is gravity, that won’t be back filling (no pressure).

If it’s pressurised, dump the pressure in the heating system to see if it stops back filling.

If it doesn’t, a second test is to shut off the mains to the house and open the kitchen tap to drain the mains pressure from your system. If it stops back filling something is letting mains in.
Fairly certain that it’s the cylinder because we had a friend ( engineer) around who did a repiping job near the cylinder ( due to a blockage) , so We are pretty certain that’s it’s the cylinder and need a new one if that’s possible.
The system is two tanks in the loft , 1 big one ( cold water tank ) and a smaller expansion tank about 4 foot away . Both float valves / ball cocks working correctly ( in fact changed the big tank ball ) .
So awaiting our ch engineer decision on whether to change cylinder of scrap the whole system ( unfortunate because it’s works brilliantly after re pipe , aside the leak )
Engineer has some unfortunate family problems so we have to be patient with the poor lad and naturally don’t want to mither him or indeed ask someone else.
So I’ll keep lowering the level in the expansion tank in the loft ( bit tricky cos I’ve recently had a hip replacement) to stop the leak, I know it’s sounds like a comedy sketch with respect .

So would like to know will switching off mains stop the overflow?

Does or will using the CH make the problem worse ?

Is there a a way just to stop the water supply to the cylinder temporarily?

Or a way of drawing the lowering the level in expansion tank without doing it manually.

Btw it is a 40 year old system that’s served us well and still is without the overflow drip , so not moaning.

cheers for any responses.

Sorry I misunderstood your problem.

I though that the cold water storage tank was overflowing.

Just reading back through, it’s actually the heating f&e tank (smaller of the 2 tanks)?

Can you turn off the cold supply to the cylinder (should be a valve either by the cylinder or cold water tank in loft) then open a hot tap to release pressure.

Does the f&e tank stop over flowing?

Sorry I misunderstood your problem.

I though that the cold water storage tank was overflowing.

Just reading back through, it’s actually the heating f&e tank (smaller of the 2 tanks)?

Can you turn off the cold supply to the cylinder (should be a valve either by the cylinder or cold water tank in loft) then open a hot tap to release pressure.

Does the f&e tank stop over flowing?
Won't that (opening the tap) result in primary water leaking into the DHW cylinder? Not, that it really matters I suppose - he won't be using the DHW anyway.

Reply to Leak on hot water ch tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The pipework around the hot water tank in the airing cupboard has developed several leaks after a chemical flush. It's an open vented system. Any ideas on controlling or fixing the leak? Should I turn off the red valve (pic 1) that has a leak next to it and rundown the hot water? Pic 2 a...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the heating. We have two boilers, one for water and one for the heating, it's an 8 bed Victorian house (bed and breakfast) I went into the loft to see what...
Replies
Views
Z
I'm trying to remove the zone valve ion vented tank and the tank started leaking around the joint. I was hoping to just run the tank with immersion till I can get an unvented. Any tips to stop leaks or do you think I need to buy temporary tank. Any help appreciated as I'm without hot water now.
Replies
Views
zacwithleak
Z
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals. We've been in our house for over 3 years now, when we moved in the hot water pressure was pretty good (confirmed by a retired plumber family friend)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock