Search the forum,

Discuss Leak in central heating pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ATB76

Hi
We appear to have a leak in a central heating pipe in the living room ceiling. Unfortunately the leak is in an awkard place - above a joist so it is not really possible to access it from the living room. To make matter worse the bathroom (shower tray) i sabove where the leak is and we have just had this re-furbished so the leak is not really accessible from here either. The plumbers have put a sealant in the boiler which lasted for a week. The leak has now returned.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed with this please. Possible options we have so far are:
1) Put a couple more doses of sealant in - not sure how good this would be for the boiler and our central heating.
2) Some how close those pipes of and re-route the pipes up the living room wall. This would be costly and also look unsightly in our living room. Also if we don't know exactly where the leak is is this a good option.

Unfortunatley we aren't covered by our insurance for this.

Thanks

Sounds like somethings been stuck through the pipe during the refurb to be honest. If a dose of leak sealer hasn't stopped it your going to have to get to it and sort it out :)

Do it once and do it properly, no matter whether the ceiling has to come down or shower base up,

Did the plumbers do the refurb work ? If so I would suggest it was their problem. How do you know it is a heating pipe BTW ?

Did the plumbers do the refurb work ? If so I would suggest it was their problem. How do you know it is a heating pipe BTW ?

Yes the plumbers did the re-furb work. They have made a couple of holes in the ceiling to have a look and said that is not their fault .....

I'm assuming it is a heating pipe as water dropping out is warm and the pressure is slowly dropping on the boiler. Please correct me if this wrong

drill a small hole in the ceiling and put a inspection camera up to find the leak. Either way its likely to need access to repair it. go for the cheapest option which should normally be the ceiling. Take care if ceiling is artexed as it may contain asbestos.

Almost any repair can be done in ceiling. It's over a joist..... Some one has screwed floor down too well me thinks

Gods sake - it might be the shower and it is most likely the c/h system - just bang
a decent sized hole in the ceiling have a good look & sort all the isses out.

Leave the hole open for a week after 'fixing the issue's to make sure and then
put a new bit of p/board up and get a jobbing plasterer to call by on his way home .

Key hole plumbing surgery is naff dont be frightened Chking

you`ve just had the bathroom renovated and now you have a leak ? i`d be asking him to prove to me, how it`s not his fault and getting him to sort it.

if a section of ceiling is down cut mid way of the space either side of the leak with an angle griner and thin blade
cut out the bit thats leaking
wedge the two ends down a bit and reconnect with push fits and plastic pipe ive done two this way easy if its 15 but doable on 22 as well you need to run a bit of a loop to get the pipe in drill through the joist a bit away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak in central heating pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock