Search the forum,

Discuss Leak from soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevo

Hi, I have a small leak from an upstairs soil pipe. It is coming from the joint at the tee. This is where the bath waste joins the WC main pipe. Since this photo was taken the ceiling was boarded and plastered. Six months later a small (1" approx) wet spot was evident. I tend to take photo records of house renovation. Any ideas how I could seal this without major dismantling? I could probably access from above.

Attachments

• DSCF4285.JPG
    DSCF4285.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 77
It's probably the rubber grommet in the boss(connection) either pull the bath waste pipe out and replace the rubber if there's one in there or just clean dry and silecone the pipe into the join

The Leak is coming from the solvent 4" (110mm) joint on the main run (arrowed). (The bath waste enters at top). Drip is definitely from the solvent joint.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not normally solvent weld if that's the case then cuttin it out and replacing the dammaged T is ya only safe option.It's usually push fit if that's the case I'd just change the T

It's not normally solvent weld. It's usually push fit if that's the case I'd just change the T

From the picture, it looks like a Polypipe SE60 or equivalent. A short boss pipe rather than a tee. Solvent both ends. You could try some gap filling cement.

I was thinking about that Ray. Would it be PVC or ABS cement?
I have found a product online called Fernox LS-X. It appears to be silicon based and can be applied to wet background.
Changing the fitting would be difficult as there is a bath overhead. I would just have enough room to access beneath floorboards (beneath bath)

I was thinking about that Ray. Would it be PVC or ABS cement?
I have found a product online called Fernox LS-X. It appears to be silicon based and can be applied to wet background.
Changing the fitting would be difficult as there is a bath overhead. I would just have enough room to access beneath floorboards (beneath bath)

I'm just a humble merchant Stevo, and there are plenty of guys on here more experienced in this sort of thing than me, but I wouldn't use LSX on a leak above a ceiling.

There is a specific gap-filling cement available - the polypipe code is GFC100, but to be safe it might be better to cut it out and redo it. If you bodge something easily accessible, it will last for 10 years. If you bodge something behind tiles, ceiling etc it only lasts 10 minutes. This is an immutable law of plumbing.

lsx wont work, you need the stuff ray has said but you need to dry the joint before you apply and then dont let any water down pipe for 24 hrs :)

Lsx is just a faster setting silicone, it doesn't work if applied it wet conditions. The most sensible thing to do here is replace the fitting. You'll need a coupling a boss pipe and a slip coupling.... And a tad of pipe.

Well thanks everyone. Top advice. If pipe were more accessible I would replace. What I will do is allow to dry out and use GFC100 and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak from soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi , i'm new to this forum & would like some advice , i have an upstairs bathroom & was wondering if i could put a cloackroom loo downstairs , my worry is how do i connect to the existing soil pipe , or is it possible to dig under where the new loo will be in case the soil pipe runs along the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a house that is 20yr old. There is a single soil stack running from the top floor (of three) through the first floor bathroom and then through the kitchen to the drains. A while back I started to hear a drip hitting the kitchen ceiling (now with some ceiling evidence too) from...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm not an expert but wondered if anyone might be able to assist. I've replaced an old toilet with a new one. I've used the same water inlet pipe, and have just replaced the right angled soil pipe connecter (110 at toilet end to a 97-107 connector end to existing soil pipe). It's secured...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
Hi all , Have a slight weeping leak on the underside of where soil pipe meets the tee join (seems like a little gap), at bottom ,after toilet upstairs is flushed ,highlighted area is in yellow leaking. Hard to remove it seems tight , can I just get away with putting some ct1, fernox lsx or...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock