Search the forum,

Discuss LEAK FROM BASE OF MIXER TAP WHERE IT CONNECTS TO SINK in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Some advice please. My kitchen mixer tap is leaking from the very bottom where the base connects to the sink (NOT at the swivel base). The leak only happens when the water is running. When I run the water and look over the very back of the base I can see a needle thin stream of water coming from the base through what looks like a thin rubber washer. IS removing the taps the only way of changing the washer?. I can see a small grub screw at the rear of the tap above the swivel part of the tap. I assume this would only remove the spout in order to change the O rings?, is it worth replacing these anyway as they could be leaking too? ALSO as the washer under the base is leaking WHY is it that under the sink where the pipes connect to the tap BONE DRY! I have shone a torch there and it is dry...and this leak has been there for months but is getting a bit worse. I can live with it at present as it just means the top of the sink getting a bit wet...BUT is it likely to get so bad it will leak under the sink as well?...What about sealant or plumbers mate around the base will that do any good.. or will that just push the water under the sink?..many thanks!!

If it really is leaking from the base of the tap where the thin washer seals it to the sink, then it's scrap.
There must be a hole in the casting.
The thin washer only seals the tap to the base to stop water leaking through to the cupboard, it doesn't hold any water back from within the tap.

But it's more likely to be leaking from the swivel.
Take the grub screw out and there will be 2 "O" Rings.

An independant plumbers merchant should be able to sort out replacements

If it really is leaking from the base of the tap where the thin washer seals it to the sink, then it's scrap.
The thin washer only seals the tap to the base to stop water leaking through to the cupboard, it doesn't hold any water back from within the tap.

thanks for the reply. I know its a common mistake that a leak is coming from the base and its actually coming from the swivel. BUT it is definitely coming from the base. When I look over the tap and run the cold tap..a tiny jet of water spurts from the thin washer between the tap base and the sink. So in your opinion it won`t do me any good removing the the tap spout and replacing the 2 O rings inside? (just as if it were swivel leak?..the leak only happens when I run the cold tap not the hot one...and the cupboard is bone dry underneath..many thanks

I think the OP has taps that are not connected to the outlet above the sink, so it looks like 3 separate items. Am I right?

UPDATE!!...I AM AN IDIOT!!!...I looked at this tap 20 times and could have sworn that the leak was coming from the base of the tap where it sits on the sink. BUT NO!!...you are correct...when I hold kitchen paper over the swivel joint and run the cold water there is no leak from the base....and what`s more i can now see a trickle of water coming from the swivel joint running down onto the base. As you said this is a much easier job, The only thing i`ve got to do now is buy a cheap offset right angled screwdriver to undo the grub screw as there is only a few inches between the tap and the wall tiles. Regarding the 2 O rings do you think i should take my ones to the plumbers shop so they can match them up...or would i have to buy a tap repair kit with loads of washers?..regards and thanks!

It happens to all of us!
If you've a decent plumbers' shop (usually an independent) you may be able to get O rings individually, but some of the national merchants will only have kits. Some of the DIY sheds will be better. Hate to suggest it, but sometimes pound shops...

It happens to all of us!
If you've a decent plumbers' shop (usually an independent) you may be able to get O rings individually, but some of the national merchants will only have kits. Some of the DIY sheds will be better. Hate to suggest it, but sometimes pound shops...

what a result!!..at least I won`t be looking under the sink for leaks every time I run the water!...now it all makes sense why it wasn`t leaking underneath. I wish they has used a alan key bolt intead of a grub screw..just ordered an offset screwdriver from amazon £3..cheers!!

I think when I have removed the grub screw I have to turn the spout fully to the left of right to release it and vice versa to put it back on???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to LEAK FROM BASE OF MIXER TAP WHERE IT CONNECTS TO SINK in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock