Search the forum,

Discuss Leaf from replacing outside tap fitting under sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

In an effort to improve the flow rate to our outside tap, we've sprung a leak ...

From the beginning, the flow rate from the outside tap has always been, so I replaced the tap, no improvement. The flow was still poor without the tap on. I checked for a blockage, there was none.

I guessed the problem was under the sink from the tap fitting there, so the best thing was to replace it. I purchased a replacement self-cutting tap, took the old one off, attached the new pipe clamp, tap and hose. No need to make a new hole so I placed the new clamp over the existing hole.

Unfortunately when I turned the water back on, the clamp is leaking. I have adjusted it 6/7 times but it keeps leaking. Any suggestions how I can stop it leaking?

Thanks in advance!

Have you got the rubber pieces in the correct place? I would suggest a proper re-pipe, had too many of those kits not give a good flow. :D

I've used those cutting kits with pozzani water filters and with very good results but the flow has to be reduced for the filter to work.

Never used one for an out door tap either and I still don't fit check valves either despite what water regulations demand. Check valves always stick and cause flow problems which is exactly what you don't want with a garden hose.

Leaks under the kitchen sink can turn into an expensive night mare. Rotten base units are not easily replaced and often means a whole new kitchen because designs change and a replacement might not match up .

Only recently got a job where a Belfast sink had collapsed through the unit and broke the customers foot all down to one of those kits leaking

That’s fine Richard if you don’t fancy fitting check valves because you don’t feel like it. Wow! Seriously dude the water regs are there to protect everyone. And your customers are paying for a professional job. I wouldn’t want to be in your shoes if there was ever a contamination problem as your excuse wont stand up in court

I don’t know what check valves you’re fitting or where you’re fitting them but mines been in 9 years without trouble, and should it fail, I can swap it out. If you’re fitting on the outside (only permissible if a direct replacement without being able to fit a check valve internally) then they will stick and fail. You can fit an alternative but can’t remember what it’s called, but you can speak to your local water undertaker for advice.

Only find the internal tap ones stick as there not rated for outdoor use eg cold weather

Only find the internal tap ones stick as there not rated for outdoor use eg cold weather

Depends where you live, Derbyshire is my patch and the lime scale kills them within 2 years.

Don't get me wrong I'll fit them on water fountains or where they are used to fill ponds but in a domestic situation under the sink, not a chance.

I've fitted probably a 1000 and the last thing I want is to be replacing check valves every 12 months. Like a lot of things in this game it's about common sense.

People put boilers in my area with those in line water filters, while it satisfies the warranty they are useless because the water is extremely hard. We fit rechargeable water softeners where possible or the electronic versions.

I'll give you a classic example of water regs. I paid Severn Trent to replace my lead water main....which is shared with 2 other homes. They moled 100 foot of mdpe into my property but then capped off my lead under the kitchen floor leaving another 100 foot of live dead leg that is still connected to my neighbours.

Now there is a huge risk of contamination there and yet I've had to take the water company to court to get them to rectify. And your telling me they are going to prosecute a fully qualified plumber for fitting bib taps

Last edited:
Still regs though mate you don’t pick and choose.

Do you understand the reason for the check valve feeding an outside tap?
If you do then you are being knowingly dangerously negligent.
If you don’t then you are being dangerously negligent.

Reply to Leaf from replacing outside tap fitting under sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock