Search the forum,

Discuss Lead rising main in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have a rising main coming into a kitchen which is weeping around where it emerges from the concrete. The pipe is lead which has been sweated onto copper above. I suspect the pipe is cracked at the surface of the concrete. Bearing in mind the current regs what's the best way to fix this?

Dig up the floor and the ground back to the main valve and replace it with MDPE. You don't want to have any drinking water being carried in lead pipes.

Otherwise the bodge up is to chop out the concrete round the pipe sufficient to get a fitting on. Then you need one of these - Universal Transition Couplings | Philmac or a lead lock.

Last edited:
Thanks - I was planning the 2nd option. The owner doesn't want his back yard digging up - (or the expense of it rather). I think he'll do it only when he really has to.

Last edited:
You need to warn him that the second option may not be successful and you may need to replace it all in that case.

Good point - I'm taking kit for every option. Unfortunately he's block paved his back yard. Nothing's ever simple!

You need to convince him that he is going to go crazy with the lead poisoning and tell him about the symptoms and ask if he is suffering from anything you describe.

Out of interest, what kit would you use to dig up his paved garden then?I've a feeling this is a stupid question but there might be more to it than I guess..

You would need to get one block up at an edge, then the rest will come out.

Plastic sheeting to pile the sand, and then earth onto.

Personally I would get a block paving company to reinstate it as it's quite a skill getting it level again and if you do it and it sinks he will be on at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lead rising main in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock