Search the forum,

Discuss Lead pipe supplying drinking water in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Have just noticed that our kitchen cold tap is connected to lead pipe. We have been in the property 5 month and also have a 5 month old baby who we have been feeding formula mixed with water from the tap. We are going to get the lead replaced but just wondering if we should get him checked out for possible lead poisoning? He seems a health and happy baby but just unsure the effects this could have ?

2 whole generations of babies were raised drinking from lead pipes and nothing happened to them. I seriously doubt there will be any adverse affects on junior. Getting your mains supply replaced is a good idea though, but chances are somewhere down the line between you and the treatment works there may well be some lead mains under the roads and pavements anyway that you can not do anything about. Good old fashioned hygiene is all that is needed making sure all bottles and utensils are sterilized as I am sure you do anyhow.

Lead pipe has been in use for so long that the inside is usually coated with Limescale or other minerals leaving no lead exposed.

As babies get regular medical checks, just mention your concerns when you next see someone.

I don't think it's anything to worry about but running the water for a second or two will ensure that any water that was in contact with the lead (which it wouldn't be because the lead is covered with scale as above) is flushed out. Some water companies may replace lead up to the meter if asked. But mostly, don't worry about it (I know that's easier said than done with a new baby)

Nothing to worry about. A lot of lead pipes still in existence.
By all means change it for peace of mind and if concerned in the meantime either bottled water? or filtered water? to mix the baby milk with. You can get a Brita jug filter for not a lot.

Hi,

Have just noticed that our kitchen cold tap is connected to lead pipe. We have been in the property 5 month and also have a 5 month old baby who we have been feeding formula mixed with water from the tap. We are going to get the lead replaced but just wondering if we should get him checked out for possible lead poisoning? He seems a health and happy baby but just unsure the effects this could have ?
This is a totally valid concern CP ...I am responsible for loads of new people over the years and when I was new to the game was as concerned as you are now. My friends
on PF ..above are quite correct...my advice....DO NOT panic and dont go ballistic getting your water main replaced. Uk water supply infrastructure is really very safe
and is probably the best in the world. If I was you every morning flush your toilet before you make up bottle feeds etc thats all it amounts to all my boys x5 and the girl
are over 21 now and fit and healthy. centralheatking

Nothing to worry about. A lot of lead pipes still in existence.
By all means change it for peace of mind and if concerned in the meantime either bottled water? or filtered water? to mix the baby milk with. You can get a Brita jug filter for not a lot.
The problem with bottled water is that studies have shown it contains more microplastic particles than mains water, so might give the baby plastic poisoning instead. We'll find out in a few years' time whether or not drinking plastic is harmful to humans. Personally, I drink mains water.

The problem with bottled water is that studies have shown it contains more microplastic particles than mains water, so might give the baby plastic poisoning instead. We'll find out in a few years' time whether or not drinking plastic is harmful to humans. Personally, I drink mains water.

I thought afterwards re additional minerals in bottled water.

Prefer milk and beer. But not together!

Thanks for all your replies. We are using bottled water just now until we get a filter and or pipes replaced. The lead pipes are going up into our neighbours from our kitchen and the neighbours have a cold water storage tank in there loft which I believe is still in use so maybe this is supplying our kitchen tap via the lead pipes. Bathroom taps have much higher pressure and no lead so I believe they are directly fed from mains. Definitely going to get this rectified.

Attachments

• DB90C64E-F1CD-47BD-8783-123B47B0A8E1.jpeg
    DB90C64E-F1CD-47BD-8783-123B47B0A8E1.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 17D8BABD-B84C-41CD-9662-CDCA7247ED87.jpeg
    17D8BABD-B84C-41CD-9662-CDCA7247ED87.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks for all your replies. We are using bottled water just now until we get a filter and or pipes replaced. The lead pipes are going up into our neighbours from our kitchen and the neighbours have a cold water storage tank in there loft which I believe is still in use so maybe this is supplying our kitchen tap via the lead pipes. Bathroom taps have much higher pressure and no lead so I believe they are directly fed from mains. Definitely going to get this rectified.
Supplying your domestic kitchen from a high level intermediate cold water storage tank is really not good...now I would be seriously concerned..forget the lead bit of your post this could be very naughty. Do you own this place ? is it freehold leasehold or rented ...let us know....centralheatking

Supplying your domestic kitchen from a high level intermediate cold water storage tank is really not good...now I would be seriously concerned..forget the lead bit of your post this could be very naughty. Do you own this place ? is it freehold leasehold or rented ...let us know....centralheatking

I believe OP is saying that the lead pipe goes up to supply the upstair neighbour's tank but I would be almost 100% sure that OP's kitchen tap is teed off before that and therefore not fed from the tank but direct off mains. Obviously I cannot know that for sure but I'd be surprised if his kitchen tap was tank fed.

I own the house bought it 5 month ago, none of this was picked up on the home report though. The water looks clean and tastes fine and no illnesses etc from drinking it.

In an ideal world Stig is correct, however I have attended flats in buildings to 'sort out problems'
with high level common use cold water storage tanks, especially without covers. I have found
dead seagulls etc blown up to the size of footballs , sediment you name it ...its not a great
set up ....centralheatking

Thanks for all your replies. We are using bottled water just now until we get a filter and or pipes replaced. It seems as though only our kitchen cold tap is fed through lead pipe, the bathroom taps appear to be mains fed which is odd. Also the lead pipes are going up into our neighbours from our kitchen and the neighbours have a cold water storage tank in there loft which I believe is still in usmaybe this is supplying our kitchen tap via the lead pipes. Definitely going to get this rectified.
I believe OP is saying that the lead pipe goes up to supply the upstair neighbour's tank but I would be almost 100% sure that OP's kitchen tap is teed off before that and therefore not fed from the tank but direct off mains. Obviously I cannot know that for sure but I'd be surprised if his kitchen tap was tank fed.
the lead pipe is supplying my kitchen tap, and the lead pipe comes from upstairs, wether it is still connected to the tank I don’t know but the pressure of the kitchen tap is low compared to the others and I believe the tank is still connected to the mains as the overflow regularly spills

I own the house bought it 5 month ago, none of this was picked up on the home report though. The water looks clean and tastes fine and no illnesses etc from drinking it.
Home reports are surveys you pay for but which are only to make sure the lolly you borrowed from whomever is recoverable if you fall down on the payments. They do not give an accurate survey of your property ...its called...' let the buyer beware'
you have more comeback on a pack of crisps than on your home purchase bluntly
centralheatking

Home reports are surveys you pay for but which are only to make sure the lolly you borrowed from whomever is recoverable if you fall down on the payments. They do not give an accurate survey of your property ...its called...' let the buyer beware'
you have more comeback on a pack of crisps than on your home purchase bluntly
centralheatking
I believe the bathroom is directly mains fed and is adjacent to the kitchen so hopefully getting this fixed should be a big issue.

the lead pipe is supplying my kitchen tap, and the lead pipe comes from upstairs, wether it is still connected to the tank I don’t know but the pressure of the kitchen tap is low compared to the others and I believe the tank is still connected to the mains as the overflow regularly spills

There's one easy test you can do to prove whether your kitchen cold tap is supplied by mains or by tank. Use the palm of your hand to cover the tap outlet and open the cold tap. If you can hold back the water using your hand it'll be tank fed. If the water cannot be held back inside that tap it'll be mains fed.

Would you be able to do that test and report back as it would be nice to know?

There's one easy test you can do to prove whether your kitchen cold tap is supplied by mains or by tank. Use the palm of your hand to cover the tap outlet and open the cold tap. If you can hold back the water using your hand it'll be tank fed. If the water cannot be held back inside that tap it'll be mains fed.

Would you be able to do that test and report back as it would be nice to know?
I done this the other day and was able to hold it back, couldn’t hold any other taps back only the cold in kitchen

I done this the other day and was able to hold it back, couldn’t hold any other taps back only the cold in kitchen
so your main water drinking and cooking tap in your kitchen of all places appears to be tank fed from a source which you have little control over, that really is the worst place to have a tank fed supply...get a decent plumber in asap. centralheatking

Reply to Lead pipe supplying drinking water in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock