Search the forum,

Discuss Laugh of the day (neighbours complaining about noise) in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Neighbours complained to their landlord about the habitual drilling and grinding noises due to "building noise" at my house and he contacted me.

Very polite as usual, unlike my neighbours who have been blanking me (and who also blanked my mother when she saw them out the front and wished them good afternoon) since I made some noise in April 2019 at a time that probably was unreasonable, although I did stop as soon as they told me it was bothering them.

The funny thing is that... I haven't been doing any building work in my own home. Said the only grinder they might have heard is the coffee grinder I used to make some icing sugar last week. Now we're both confused :)

Record some drilling and automate it playing randomly when your not at home šŸ˜‚
It's probably my neighbours' washing machine!

He said he'll try to phone me next time it happens so we can work out what the problem is. I am secretly hoping I can answer and say 'yes, I'm making a 6" core drill in a cavity wall so it probably is fairly noisy... I'm in a customer's house about 20 miles away though...'

We lived a flat many moons ago. Only three floors and we were in the middle. Was great until a young couple moved in above us. Had a quiet chat one day, very polite and measured, had the opposite effect, noise was worse. Seen him a couple of weeks later and explained whilst holding by the throat up against the wall that a 2nd floor flat would be no good for somebody with blown knee caps.
Lack of sleep can turn you into a right grumpy bugger. We moved out a couple of months later, but it was quieter.

Joking aside, most likely culprit is the vacuum cleaner, though I don't run it often (largely wooden floors), and I doubt I've ever run it as late as 9.30, though if you spill stuff on the floor at that time... well, 9.30 is not 11.30 and since my neighbours both sides are up at that time... I would if I had to. I think my neighbours also have a vacuum cleaner!

My neighbours naturally take umbrage to anything I do as I'm such a terrible person (e.g. my father and I made some noise quite late in 2019 and when they complained, I said I was sorry and would knock it on the head - and then he had a go at me about the previous week which, by then, I could do nothing about... I had been told the house had been soundproofed). I should probably be on a documentary about bad neighbours, the special kind of documentary for insomniacs.

Fridge/freezer?

And a few extra characters because brevity is not permitted.
It's pretty quiet. Although I do run it quite late at night, often even forgetting to turn it off when I go to bed!

We lived a flat many moons ago. Only three floors and we were in the middle. Was great until a young couple moved in above us. Had a quiet chat one day, very polite and measured, had the opposite effect, noise was worse. Seen him a couple of weeks later and explained whilst holding by the throat up against the wall that a 2nd floor flat would be no good for somebody with blown knee caps.
Lack of sleep can turn you into a right grumpy bugger. We moved out a couple of months later, but it was quieter.
Reminds me of a friend working at a festival with campers making noise in the crew area. Apparently ripping open a tent while mostly naked and telling people to be quiet works quite well too. Not sure why my neighbour's sleep is disturbed, however, although I'm sure stewing over something that happened 4 years ago is enough to put anyone of their sleep.

Reply to Laugh of the day (neighbours complaining about noise) in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was sent an engineer by Ideal Heating to fix a problem with my system. When he left he drove over a pot of sealing compound (which must have dropped out of his van) on my shared drive. My neighbour pointed it out to me since he was parked in her space. I tried to remove it with water and...
Replies
Views
There is a noise coming from my neighbour's house through the party wall. Sounds like a pump of some sort. They have had a new ensuite installed recently and also a pipe from first to ground floor was leaking and they had it repaired. The noise comes and goes every couple of days. When it is on...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Looking to 'crowd-source' some public opinion on this one. I bought a studio apartment on 30th September 2022 and I'm currently working with contractors to refurbish it. I'm 39 and it is my only property (I'm no property tycoon). Next door's bathroom is on the other side of the wall to my...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've had an on going issue for over a year now and can't seem to get an answer. Hopefully can get some more information from the forum. If I use the cold or hot water taps in my kitchen or bathroom, 10, 20, maybe 30 mins later it sounds as if the pipes have water running through them, as if...
Replies
Views
I live in a terraced house with one side consisting of 6+ people living inside a house and the other side is empty. 1) I do not trust my neighbours 2) I had let a guy into my house even though deep down something didnā€™t feel right 3) I was in a rush and thought he was the boiler man 3) The...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock