Search the forum,

Discuss Late 1940’s/Early 1950’s New Home (Not New World) Gas cooker in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone,

I am currently restoring a vintage 1940’s-1950’s New Home Gas Cooker before I get a gas safe engineer to come and install it and check it for me.

I have noticed while restoring it, that there seems to be something missing and I cannot put my finger on it and I was wondering if anyone here might have some idea? I have attached a photo of the cooker in question and the problem I have, there are 4 burners and 1 toaster which has the same problem so I am missing 5 of them (whatever “them” are), I would be grateful to hear from anyone who may be able to help or assist me.

With kindest regards,

Aaron Matthews

081245A0-346E-40A5-86F6-E9DB4A3F88DD.jpeg

D9DFE04C-EA1B-4D7F-9B67-71C3FFB73782.jpeg

557A5B25-E2C4-4096-BE38-9CA982283998.jpeg

Don’t know if this helps but looks like injectors going into the steel inserts in the pictures but missing the burner heads and crowns, on the actual hob, which should sit on top of them to spread the heat evenly.

Don’t know if this helps but looks like injectors going into the steel inserts in the pictures but missing the burner heads and crowns, on the actual hob, which should sit on top of them to spread the heat evenly.

Thank you for your reply, I have just taken a photograph of the burners for the hob, but something looks like it is missing between the burners and the injectors. I have also taken a photo of the underside of one of the burners so you can get a feel for them using these photos and the others previously posted.

Thank you again.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are some more photos of the cooker, I have taken some more photos of what I think the problem area is, as I am new to this, is there supposed to be that gap between the injector and the burners/heads or is there something missing?

Thank you again.

622C7F29-DFC7-4C12-AEC9-A9A451A07A54.jpeg

EC1A618B-8413-41E4-B2A2-03847A1E7BB9.jpeg

298BED58-5B18-4975-A3C6-B4E96101480E.jpeg

The gap is supposed to be there, it is designed to allow the correct amount of air into the mixing tube to maintain the correct gas/air ratio to allow the gas to burn effeiciently, clean and safe. The threaded dome nut you see in the left side of the mixing tube just upstream from the injector is for the GSR to regulate the air flow to maintain a good flame picture emitting from the burner.

The gap is supposed to be there, it is designed to allow the correct amount of air into the mixing tube to maintain the correct gas/air ratio to allow the gas to burn effeiciently, clean and safe. The threaded dome nut you see in the left side of the mixing tube just upstream from the injector is for the GSR to regulate the air flow to maintain a good flame picture emitting from the burner.

Thank you kindly, the photograph of the middle burner is the toaster burner and the gas holes are in the side of the piece rather than the top. Thank you for the reply, it seems that my worrying was for nothing, I was a little worried than something may have been missing but it all seems ok then? Thank you.

I have a lot of old farts that work with me from time to time
..I am 61 they are mostly older
..they will know this stuff..some worked for Press and the other outfit that did Town Gas to natural gas years ago...they will
be tickled to see what your up to...but its Friday in The Castle
at 15.00 if you can wait
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I have a lot of old farts that work with me from time to time
..I am 61 they are mostly older
..they will know this stuff..some worked for Press and the other outfit that did Town Gas to natural gas years ago...they will
be tickled to see what your up to...but its Friday in The Castle
at 15.00 if you can wait

Thank you, happy to wait, I am currently in the process of painting the parts and trying to find a Gas Safe Engineer to come and install this for us. I am only 27 years old and have a passion for the 1930’s-1950’s.

Thank you, happy to wait, I am currently in the process of painting the parts and trying to find a Gas Safe Engineer to come and install this for us. I am only 27 years old and have a passion for the 1930’s-1950’s.
In the meantime look at
BES gas controls Electric Avenue Brum they have a massive inventory of parts
you might find it there.
chking

Did you know there is a History of Gas museum in Aylestone Road gas depot in Leicester? Contains such delights as a gas powered radio and fridge, as well as cookers similar to yours.

BTW, the technical term for the gap is “aeration port”.

Did you know there is a History of Gas museum in Aylestone Road gas depot in Leicester? Contains such delights as a gas powered radio and fridge, as well as cookers similar to yours.

BTW, the technical term for the gap is “aeration port”.

Thank you kindly, I shall remember the technical term, thank you for this information, I have been struggling to find another New Home Gas Cooker, there are lots of New World Cookers similar to mine on the internet but I have been unable to find another “New Home” that matches mine, I have been trying to date this cooker but been unable to sadly, I know it is between the 1940’s and early 1950’s though but that is it.

Thank you kindly, I shall remember the technical term, thank you for this information, I have been struggling to find another New Home Gas Cooker, there are lots of New World Cookers similar to mine on the internet but I have been unable to find another “New Home” that matches mine, I have been trying to date this cooker but been unable to sadly, I know it is between the 1940’s and early 1950’s though but that is it.
keep in touch please ..I am fascinated I know a fella that has a massive collection of gas fired boilers from 1970 ...to Late 90's
centralheatking

It is not New Home, but Newhome. I remember them as Valor Newhome, so did a bit of Googling. Have a look at this, I suspect you have not seen it:

Our Heritage - Stoves

EDIT: Having had a closer look at your image, it does say NEW HOME. This obviously pre dates the Stoves Era, and it may be that Stoves took over the company making Newhome, and used that as a model name. Stoves eventually were taken over ny Valor, bit in the 80's (?) became a autonomous company again.

Of course, my memory is not infallible, and I could be completely wrong. A visit to Leicester may be of value, if it is not a million miles away:
history of cooking with gas | National Gas Museum

Last edited:
It is not New Home, but Newhome. I remember them as Valor Newhome, so did a bit of Googling. Have a look at this, I suspect you have not seen it:

Our Heritage - Stoves

EDIT: Having had a closer look at your image, it does say NEW HOME. This obviously pre dates the Stoves Era, and it may be that Stoves took over the company making Newhome, and used that as a model name. Stoves eventually were taken over ny Valor, bit in the 80's (?) became a autonomous company again.

Of course, my memory is not infallible, and I could be completely wrong. A visit to Leicester may be of value, if it is not a million miles away:
history of cooking with gas | National Gas Museum

Thank you, having another closer look my end you might be right about it being Newhome, here is a photo. I shall check out the link and look at the museum online to see if they are able to help in some way.

The reason I have been saying it is 1940’s-early 1950’s is because of the gas taps rather than knobs like on most modern cookers (photo attached)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you, having another closer look my end you might be right about it being Newhome, here is a photo. I shall check out the link and look at the museum online to see if they are able to help in some way.

The reason I have been saying it is 1940’s-early 1950’s is because of the gas taps rather than knobs like on most modern cookers (photo attached)

View attachment 38486

View attachment 38487
ok I have that now ...chking

from the look of the taps i would say most likeley 1940's possibley early 50's even as an apprentice i started in 1973 i was on special services at BGNW and every monday was C day where the new cookers were installed on changeover day. i can honestly say i have seen some old cookers but never one like that they tended to have bakelite handles. either white or black.

View attachment 38486

View attachment 38487

Ah. That is a better photo, and supports what I thought and said. And the manufacturer is Stoves, the model Newhome.

Will be interesting to hear what you eventually unearth.

Until 20 or so years ago, we saw a few of these in use. My grand mother had a similar one in a blue mottled vitreous enamel. I remeber there being a large flash, I think it had a thermostat, and, if so, I now understand what happened. Being about 7 years of age (circa 1967), I didn't have a clue at the time :)

Ah. That is a better photo, and supports what I thought and said. And the manufacturer is Stoves, the model Newhome.

Will be interesting to hear what you eventually unearth.

Until 20 or so years ago, we saw a few of these in use. My grand mother had a similar one in a blue mottled vitreous enamel. I remeber there being a large flash, I think it had a thermostat, and, if so, I now understand what happened. Being about 7 years of age (circa 1967), I didn't have a clue at the time :)

Very interesting, I believe this model in particular is somewhere between the late 1940’s and early 1950’s, I would love to find an exact date for this as I am currently in the process of recreating a period Home from the 1940’s and 1950’s. Do you know where I could potentially get information from for this cooker?

No, not really. the only source I can think of is the aforementioned gas museum in leicester. (There is a museum in York that is for real life stuf, fwho may help) It may be worth sending them an image and asking what they know. Better that than phoning, as it is staffed by volunteers - if you get a well meaning but clueless bod, he will say what he thinks, rather than facts. Write an email, and anyone responding is more likely to ensure that they are accurate. And will be able to follow up if more info or thoughts becomes available.

EDIT: I just noticed that said that you are creating a period home. York may be a big help, and what about the living museum in the North East, I can't recall the name, but I went a few times as my wifes family is from the area. They have a lot of cottages etc of the 40/50's. I would have thouht these types of operations are happy to help others?

Where will your home be? Have you the premoses, and how far have you got? Will this be a commercial enterprise?

It is sobering to think that people born when that cooker was probably made are now in their very senior years.

FURTHER EDIT: Beamish. Wonderful place:
Beamish Unlimited - Beamish

Last edited:
No, not really. the only source I can think of is the aforementioned gas museum in leicester. (There is a museum in York that is for real life stuf, fwho may help) It may be worth sending them an image and asking what they know. Better that than phoning, as it is staffed by volunteers - if you get a well meaning but clueless bod, he will say what he thinks, rather than facts. Write an email, and anyone responding is more likely to ensure that they are accurate. And will be able to follow up if more info or thoughts becomes available.

EDIT: I just noticed that said that you are creating a period home. York may be a big help, and what about the living museum in the North East, I can't recall the name, but I went a few times as my wifes family is from the area. They have a lot of cottages etc of the 40/50's. I would have thouht these types of operations are happy to help others?

Where will your home be? Have you the premoses, and how far have you got? Will this be a commercial enterprise?

It is sobering to think that people born when that cooker was probably made are now in their very senior years.

FURTHER EDIT: Beamish. Wonderful place:
Beamish Unlimited - Beamish

Thank you for your reply, the home is in the Welsh Valleys of South Wales, my fiancé and I are currently living in a private rented one bedroom house which we may have the potential to buy in the future. I currently have a large number of vintage items which includes:

- 1957 English Electric Televisio
- 1952 Philips Radio
- 1940’s/50’s Cocktail Bar
- 1952 English Electric Refrigerator
- 1940’s/50’s Gas Cooker (as per this forum post)
- 1951 Electric Hotpoint Clothes Airer
- 1930’s-50’s Belling Champion 91a Electric Heater
- vintage pedestal/treadle sewing machine
- CC41 Wardrobe
- bookcase with glass panel doors
- 3 saucepans
- 1959/60 Premier Electric Toaster

This is more of a private moment investment and enterprise but am always happy to show people around, etc.

I am personally a self-proclaimed historian and historical interpreter having spent the past 16 years of my life (I am now 27 years old) dedicated to research and collecting items from the 1930’s through to 1959.

I may still have the parts microfiche for this cooker.
Will have to have a rummage.
I know I have a oven thermostat gasket somewhere too, it's red silicon to replace the old original!

I missed my boys at Castle Friday afternoon, so no info as yet ...M6 northbound nightmare ..Rob Foster aka
centralheatking

Hello everyone,

Further to recent research undertaken by myself, I have found out that some cookers can be used with a gas bottle (butane), can this be done for my cooker? I have come across a 1940’s cooker with the valve/taps (not knobs) and was wondering if it could be done.

I have also been in touch with the original manufacturers who do not have any records or details in this particular “Newhome” cooker, as well as this, I have also been in touch with National Gas Museum and again are unable to help, they do not have any manufacturers guides, or any information on this cooker, they checked their records and could not find anything. The Gas Museum also mentioned that they reckon this cooker is 1940’s due to the taps and the looks of things.

Any help, advice and guidance again would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you

Really think you should get a
GSR engineer to help you. Your
project is fine but if things go wrong then your home insurance etc will be invalid by defenition and you most certainly invalidate any rental agreement you might have. In my final analysis where you to
produce a big bang you will be subject to criminal proceedings

its a lovely thing you are doing but beware...your mention of LPG..really is really scary maybe contact your local gas training centre whom have certificated safe areas which are supervised where you could finish your project in perfect safety

Reply to Late 1940’s/Early 1950’s New Home (Not New World) Gas cooker in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock