Search the forum,

Discuss Large limescale deposits in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

When I bought my house 12 years ago there was a Scalemaster electrolytic inhibitor installed. Over the last few years the quality of the water (most noticeable in the kettle) has gotten worse so 6 months ago I replaced the Scalemaster and at the same time replaced my 5 year old dishwasher.

Since the replacement I seem to be having an issue with large deposits of limescale in the dishwasher spray arms. At first I thought it was bits of eggshell fro kids not clearing the plates properly but when trying to remove it it crumbled so worked out it was limescale build up. The deposits are slightly curved, like a piece of egg shell, almost as if it is coming off the inside of the pipe and flushing through the system and ending up in the dishwasher

After every few uses of the machine I have to take the arms off and knock the “sheets” out of the end holes. The problems isn’t a scaled element as this happened after about to cycles of a brand new machine.

Google hasn’t been very helpful in what’s going on so thought I’d ask here. Any ideas of what’s going on and how I can sort this?!

The dishwasher should have its own built in filter and water softener to prevent this. It, the softener within the dishwasher, is unlikely to be defective, but it won’t function if the salt compartment is not being filled up.

A scaled up dishwasher will eventually block and fail.

Nothing against Scalemaster, but electrolytic inhibitors are not ( in my opinion ) very effective in really hard water areas. The solution is to soften the water (other than for the kitchen tap) using an ion exchange unit.

Last edited:
When I bought my house 12 years ago there was a Scalemaster electrolytic inhibitor installed. Over the last few years the quality of the water (most noticeable in the kettle) has gotten worse so 6 months ago I replaced the Scalemaster and at the same time replaced my 5 year old dishwasher.

Since the replacement I seem to be having an issue with large deposits of limescale in the dishwasher spray arms. At first I thought it was bits of eggshell fro kids not clearing the plates properly but when trying to remove it it crumbled so worked out it was limescale build up. The deposits are slightly curved, like a piece of egg shell, almost as if it is coming off the inside of the pipe and flushing through the system and ending up in the dishwasher

After every few uses of the machine I have to take the arms off and knock the “sheets” out of the end holes. The problems isn’t a scaled element as this happened after about to cycles of a brand new machine.

Google hasn’t been very helpful in what’s going on so thought I’d ask here. Any ideas of what’s going on and how I can sort this?!
Scale master type units are only suitable for protecting instantaneous water heaters, they work by breaking up the chemical and physical bond that creates limescale as soon as the water has passed through and gone to storage or sits in the pipes limescale will reform. What sort of heating have you.
Ds3 sugar type crystals dissolve limescale harmlessly. I lived in Bath for years which has very hard water it sounds similar with you. Centralheatking

Reply to Large limescale deposits in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock