Search the forum,

Discuss Large gap discovered when resealing shower tray in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have encountered a problem. My shower tray was leaking and I found out it was because the tray was flexing and causing a gap at the seal. I thought this would be an easy fix and have taken the seal off. Turns out this is not the case as the gap between the seal and the tiles is about 1cm tall. And also quite deep. I was thinking I could either grout the gap and then seal it or even expanding foam and then seal? I'm just worried this won't be a decent/permanent fix. What are your thoughts?

IMG_20191226_165532.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191227_101413.jpg
    IMG_20191227_101413.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20191226_165616.jpg
    IMG_20191226_165616.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20191226_165536.jpg
    IMG_20191226_165536.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20191226_165532.jpg
    IMG_20191226_165532.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20191226_165532.jpg
    IMG_20191226_165532.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 19
A right mess. To me it looks like a void behind that gap. If this is the case then unless your willing to take out the tray and start again then what ever you do will always be temporary I’m afraid. Not been installed correctly from day 1. Hate to think what riser kit was used under that tray.

I have encountered a problem. My shower tray was leaking and I found out it was because the tray was flexing and causing a gap at the seal. I thought this would be an easy fix and have taken the seal off. Turns out this is not the case as the gap between the seal and the tiles is about 1cm tall. And also quite deep. I was thinking I could either grout the gap and then seal it or even expanding foam and then seal? I'm just worried this won't be a decent/permanent fix. What are your thoughts?

View attachment 41993
Do not underestimate the dynamic forces on a shower tray. Average person weighs say 10 stone concentrated on two feet, its a lot of pressure moving around. Shower trays especially flimsy ones are notorious for twisting. More than adequate support is essential. Then when there is a leak even a small one then walls swell, timber rots...a nasty brew. Take the tray out, clean out base under, treat for wood rot if necessary. Scrape all the old sealant away. Then rebuild base raising the shower tray up and under the lip with a reasonable bead of quality sillicon. However the real fix is to start again bottom up with a re tile. centralheatking

Do not underestimate the dynamic forces on a shower tray. Average person weighs say 10 stone concentrated on two feet, its a lot of pressure moving around. Shower trays especially flimsy ones are notorious for twisting. More than adequate support is essential. Then when there is a leak even a small one then walls swell, timber rots...a nasty brew. Take the tray out, clean out base under, treat for wood rot if necessary. Scrape all the old sealant away. Then rebuild base raising the shower tray up and under the lip with a reasonable bead of quality sillicon. However the real fix is to start again bottom up with a re tile. centralheatking

How much (ball park figure) as best you can do you think I would be looking at for some to fix it? Also approx how long would it take? I'm assuming I would also need to try and find some matching tiles somewhere.

if you still have some tiles you could fill the gap and cut the tiles and make like a skirting board around the base and seal this but as mr CH king says best bet is strip out and refit if you can

Stew, firstly establish if tray is not on the move when someone is standing in it, if it doesn't move I would suggest you take the whole bottom row of tiles off depending if you have replacements, replace the boarding now exposed hopefully its not plasterboard but bet you it is. Use a hardy backer type board or similar of a same thickness and bring to the top of the tray or slide down the back depending how it currently is. Seal the board to the tray. Now using your new tiles cut to size allowing no more than a a 2-3mm gap where it meets the tray. its a days work depending on whether the screen has to come out, so a days money. Cost depends where you are so can't give a figure £300-400 at a guess

Reply to Large gap discovered when resealing shower tray in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock