Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen waste to soil pipe connection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
At the moment my kitchen sink waste runs into a vertical soil stack via a strap on boss, but the pipe run goes round a corner and will interfer with a gate I want to hang.
I have a rainwater drainage soil pipe that runs along the back of my house next to the kitchen and would be closer to connect than the current arrangement. Is it acceptable to connect a strap on boss to a horizontal rainwater soil pipe that is buried? Or do I need to attach a gully and hopper above ground?
Thanks

You cannot put the waste from the sink into a rainwater system.

In some / many areas the Soil / Foul drainage and Rainwater / Surface water drainage are combined within a property boundary - both running into one drain run which discharges into the Main drain outside the property boundary.

IF that is the case in the OP`s area AND the Rainwater pipe connects to a Drain bend NOT to a Gully - then there is no regulation that states He cannot connect a Sink waste into a Rainwater downpipe because the waste water would be going into the same drain run as the Soil pipe discharge.

Obviously that would have to be checked at the property if possible - perhaps by looking at the Manhole and using a hose to put some water onto the Roof / into the Guttering - or if possible disconnect a section of Rainwater pipe and put water into the downpipe.

This situation of combined Foul and Rainwater drainage is very prevalent in most areas of London and I am sure that it exists in many other City`s and Towns - imagine what it would have cost to have separate drainage at every property for Rainwater and Surface water drainage - and in most cases both would be discharging into the Main drains anyway.

Local Authorities do not allow Waste water connection to Rainwater pipes where the downpipe connects to a Gully because of sediment build up blocking the Gully over a period of time.

However there is often plenty of sediment that comes down from various types of roof tiles and can be worse than washing up water sediments as it can solidify in the Gully.

I am assuming that the OP`s description - `horizontal rainwater soil pipe that is buried` means that the Rainwater does not discharge into a Gully - so there would be a Drain bend at the bottom of the Rainwater pipe meaning that there would be no problem regarding sediment build up from the Sink waste water.

CHRISX

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the replies.
Yes, there is a combined sewer in my area and the sewage and rainwater all runs through a single inspection point on my drive.
I'm just a DIYer and have only seen those strap on boss connections on a vertical soil stack. Can i just check, is a strap on boss the correct way to to connect a vertical 40mm to 110mm buried horizontal pipe?
Many thanks

In some / many areas the Soil / Foul drainage and Rainwater / Surface water drainage are combined within a property boundary - both running into one drain run which discharges into the Main drain outside the property boundary.

IF that is the case in the OP`s area AND the Rainwater pipe connects to a Drain bend NOT to a Gully - then there is no regulation that states He cannot connect a Sink waste into a Rainwater downpipe because the waste water would be going into the same drain run as the Soil pipe discharge.

Obviously that would have to be checked at the property if possible - perhaps by looking at the Manhole and using a hose to put some water onto the Roof / into the Guttering - or if possible disconnect a section of Rainwater pipe and put water into the downpipe.

This situation of combined Foul and Rainwater drainage is very prevalent in most areas of London and I am sure that it exists in many other City`s and Towns - imagine what it would have cost to have separate drainage at every property for Rainwater and Surface water drainage - and in most cases both would be discharging into the Main drains anyway.

Local Authorities do not allow Waste water connection to Rainwater pipes where the downpipe connects to a Gully because of sediment build up blocking the Gully over a period of time.

However there is often plenty of sediment that comes down from various types of roof tiles and can be worse than washing up water sediments as it can solidify in the Gully.

I am assuming that the OP`s description - `horizontal rainwater soil pipe that is buried` means that the Rainwater does not discharge into a Gully - so there would be a Drain bend at the bottom of the Rainwater pipe meaning that there would be no problem regarding sediment build up from the Sink waste water.

CHRISX

I am well aware of the Regulations thank you.

I was brief with my response due to me wondering why the original plumber didn't use the rainwater pipe in question.

Instead, he or she ran a pipe around the corner to a soil pipe rather than use a rainwater that was nearer.

There could be a good reason for this !

It is possible of course that the Plumber enjoyed their job so much that they decided to do extra work but it could also be that it runs into a local river.

I haven't seen it.

I also Do not know ( with all due respect to pusher ), whether he or she is a DIY enthusiast or not. Hence the short and sweet reply.

Hope you understand pusher, no offence meant

No problem Last Plumber
I've just been having an extension done and the builder who did the extended pipe run did a runner before finishing the job and didn't put any rainwater drainage in. So I have had to put that in, connect it to the sewer, and now want to tidy up the kitchen waste. Steep learning curve for me, so I I'm learning a lot as I am going along so thanks for everyone's help, this is a very helpful forum.
Regards

I am well aware of the Regulations thank you.

I was brief with my response due to me wondering why the original plumber didn't use the rainwater pipe in question.

Instead, he or she ran a pipe around the corner to a soil pipe rather than use a rainwater that was nearer.

There could be a good reason for this !

It is possible of course that the Plumber enjoyed their job so much that they decided to do extra work but it could also be that it runs into a local river.

I haven't seen it.

I also Do not know ( with all due respect to pusher ), whether he or she is a DIY enthusiast or not. Hence the short and sweet reply.

Hope you understand pusher, no offence meant

Hello Last Plumber,

When I replied on this thread quoting You I was just letting the OP know that there are circumstances where He could possibly connect a Sink waste to a Rainwater downpipe - especially a 110mm pipe which I assumed from his `buried` description was connected to a Drain bend - not a Gully.

I thought that the `buried` description referred to the connection to the Drainage / to a drainage bend.

My comments were definitely NOT meant to just contradict what You wrote or to correct you regarding the Building Regulations - if the Rainwater pipe was discharging into a Gully what you stated would be absolutely correct - as You know.

I made a mistake in using the quote from You instead of quoting the OP and as I can see from your comments what I wrote has offended / irritated You - I apologise - that was definitely NOT my intention.

Quoting You was a error of `Forum etiquette` - I should have quoted Pusher / the OP - Sorry.

However getting back to the original question I have now read the OP`s / Pusher`s further description about:

Can i just check, is a strap on boss the correct way to to connect a vertical 40mm to 110mm buried horizontal pipe?

It now seems that He is asking whether he can use a strap on boss to connect the Sink waste to a 110mm buried Rainwater DRAIN pipe ?

The answer to that is obviously NO.

I hope that my explanation above will allow You to realise that I meant no offence and nor was I trying to be funny about the Regulations regarding your previous comment.

CHRISX

Last edited:
No problem Last Plumber
I've just been having an extension done and the builder who did the extended pipe run did a runner before finishing the job and didn't put any rainwater drainage in. So I have had to put that in, connect it to the sewer, and now want to tidy up the kitchen waste. Steep learning curve for me, so I I'm learning a lot as I am going along so thanks for everyone's help, this is a very helpful forum.
Regards

Hello Pusher.

IF I am correct in thinking that You mean that you have a 110mm Rainwater DRAIN pipe - buried in the ground - that you want to know whether you can use a strap on boss to connect the Sink waste to - the answer is No - that would be a breach of the Drainage Regulations because it would not be an `Approved fitting` for underground use.

If you want to connect a waste pipe to the Horizontal / buried DRAIN pipe You will need to either get advice from a Plumber who can visit your Home and advise on the best way to keep within the Building Regulations for Drainage at your Home or ask your Local Building Control Officer to specify how to connect.

It could well mean that You will have to install a `Waste stack` connected to the new 110mm buried Rainwater Drain run and running up the external wall - that Stack would have to meet the Waste water Drainage Regulations regarding the Vent terminating the correct distance away from Windows etc.

I hope that this is helpful although I expect that it is NOT what you were hoping to find out.

CHRISX

Last edited:
Hello Last Plumber,

When I replied on this thread quoting You I was just letting the OP know that there are circumstances where He could possibly connect a Sink waste to a Rainwater downpipe - especially a 110mm pipe which I assumed from his `buried` description was connected to a Drain bend - not a Gully.

I thought that the `buried` description referred to the connection to the Drainage / to a drainage bend.

My comments were definitely NOT meant to just contradict what You wrote or to correct you regarding the Building Regulations - if the Rainwater pipe was discharging into a Gully what you stated would be absolutely correct - as You know.

I made a mistake in using the quote from You instead of quoting the OP and as I can see from your comments what I wrote has offended / irritated You - I apologise - that was definitely NOT my intention.

However I have now read the OP`s / Pusher`s further description about:

Can i just check, is a strap on boss the correct way to to connect a vertical 40mm to 110mm buried horizontal pipe?

It now seems that He is asking whether he can use a strap on boss to connect the Sink waste to a 110mm buried Rainwater DRAIN pipe ?

The answer to that is obviously NO.

I hope that my explanation above will allow You to realise that I meant no offence and nor was I trying to be funny about the Regulations regarding your previous comment.

CHRISX

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sometimes things written can be read and understood in different ways depending on the mood of the reader.

No offense taken.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sometimes things written can be read and understood in different ways depending on the mood of the reader.

No offense taken.

Thanks for understanding - it was entirely my fault for replying by quoting your message - of course You would then think that I was addressing you directly which was not my intention.

CHRISX

Many thanks for the advice!
Sorry about the confusion caused by the way I described the current setup but you have interpreted exactly the situation.
You're right I was hoping you were going to say it was ok, but I am glad to get such good help from experts as the last thing I wanted to do was do some work that didn't meet standards.
Anyway, that has saved me a job this weekend and I will just live with the pipe work I have got. It's obviously a far more complex job for me to tackle than I thouht and I dont feel strongly enough about it to pay for the work doing as it all functions fine, I just wanted to improve the cosmetics.
Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen waste to soil pipe connection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock