Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen Tap Replacement - Nut Size and Adapter in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

s7e

Hi, I wonder if someone can help - does anyone know the size of this nut/joint and if it will be compatible with the following kitchen tap once I've removed the old one?

It seems to have 1/2 and 3/8 Inch Adaptors - will it be a case of unscrewing/removing the the existing pipe and then attaching the new one with the adapter?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

s7e

1649601305523.png

Last edited:
That is a compression joint. Almost certainly 15mm. Designed to fit to 15mm pipe. You will either leave this in place and insert some 15mm pipe into it because you need the 90° bend, or remove it if you don't want the bend.

No link working for me. I would imagine the tap will have a 1/2" and 3/8" male BSP thread onto which you could connect to using a "tap connector" or a flexible tap connector with the appropriate female thread. Taps are traditionally terminated with a BSP female thread onto which you connect, so sounds fairly standard.

That is a compression joint. Almost certainly 15mm. Designed to fit to 15mm pipe. You will either leave this in place and insert some 15mm pipe into it because you need the 90° bend, or remove it if you don't want the bend.

No link working for me. I would imagine the tap will have a 1/2" and 3/8" male BSP thread onto which you could connect to using a "tap connector" or a flexible tap connector with the appropriate female thread. Taps are traditionally terminated with a BSP female thread onto which you connect, so sounds fairly standard.
Thanks Ric, much appreciated - that helps and confirms what I thought.

I see you've connected directly onto the elbow. Was that with a rubber-washered fitting or does it have a metal olive to make the seal?

If rubber washered, take care not to over-tighten as the taper on the elbow is really designed for an olive (but many people have done it and got away with it!).

Glad you've got it sorted, and thanks for letting us know.

I see you've connected directly onto the elbow. Was that with a rubber-washered fitting or does it have a metal olive to make the seal?

If rubber washered, take care not to over-tighten as the taper on the elbow is really designed for an olive (but many people have done it and got away with it!).

Glad you've got it sorted, and thanks for letting us know.
It was a rubber washer and I was conscious of not to over tighten, seems ok, but will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks for update.

Following on from what Ric said. Ideally the 15mm compression elbow should have been replaced with a Male iron (has a flat face for the washer to sit against).

You can get 3/8 x 15mm elbow compression fittings which would have removed the need for the 1/2 to 3/8 reducer.

I understand using the materials you’ve got to hand. So in a pinch, take a file and file the sharp edge of the compression flat (just like a male iron. Doesn’t need to be fully flat, just enough to prevent cutting damage to the washer.

This only works on 15mm / 1/2” as the threads on larger sizes are not interchangeable.

Thanks for update.

Following on from what Ric said. Ideally the 15mm compression elbow should have been replaced with a Male iron (has a flat face for the washer to sit against).

You can get 3/8 x 15mm elbow compression fittings which would have removed the need for the 1/2 to 3/8 reducer.

I understand using the materials you’ve got to hand. So in a pinch, take a file and file the sharp edge of the compression flat (just like a male iron. Doesn’t need to be fully flat, just enough to prevent cutting damage to the washer.

This only works on 15mm / 1/2” as the threads on larger sizes are not interchangeable.
Thanks for the info Tim & Ric, let me take a look at this and then update.

Reply to Kitchen Tap Replacement - Nut Size and Adapter in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock