Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen Sink Waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ChipRivers

I am fitting a new kitchen which is going to include me replacing the waste pipes from the sink. The previous occupants have messed around with the existing u-bend and waste pipes to accomodate a dish washer. This is why I am going to take it out and start a fresh.

Just need to know what there should be there? To accomodate a washing machine waste, should the waste pipe from the washing machine be connected to the waste above or below the u-bend?

Well you can buy a trap to accomodate the waste underneath the sink from the washing machine or you can buy a washing machine trap which I think is best and then link to the rest of the waste pipe :)

Always a bit of a mess around sink wastes ..I carry just about every possible component from single to doubles , reducers from compression to pushfit ,couplers etc ..if you have all the reddies in the van it sometimes takes a bit to find what you need but at least you will have it with you at all times. mcalpine are usually the best. And Carron Phoenix do good pop ups. ;)

Basically, its best to fit a dedicated washing machine waste right to the outside and connect it up to a back inlet gully or what ever you have to connect it too. You can buy washing machine standpipe traps especially for it.

The problems connecting to sink wastes, is that if they block it sure makes a mess. The washing machine contents can come up in the sink and the sinks in the washing machine.

The idea of connecting it too a sink waste, was usually only for flats, where it was too expensive or very hard to do much else.

The answer is 'above the U-bend (trap)'!

Otherwise you will have nasty smells coming up the drain hose.

The reason I want to get it right is because with the current set up, when ever the washing machine empties, it gurgles up through the sink waste and if you have a sink of water with the plug in it pushes the plug out and drains the sink!

How do I avoid this happening?

Exactly chiprivers which is why its best to fit the washing machines own independant trap/waste. And dont put your chip fat down it!

so if i have only got one waste pipe leaving the house at the point of the ktichen sink, and I am unable to install a second one, what is my best option?

Well really you will probably have the same problem to a certain extent. But if you can't fit and independent one. Then it depends on the waste pipe layout.

If for instance it comes straight off the sink unit trap and out the wall its going to be a problem. It doesn't leave many options other than a spigot trap which you have probably got now.

If you can post a picture of the layout people may be able to help a bit better.

You may be able to 'siamese' a second waste pipe for the washing machine, to join the existing sink waste pipe, using a 'swept tee' fitting. This arrangement does not usually cause waste water to shoot up into the sink, because the 'swept' tee (Y-piece) directs the flow away from the sink waste pipe.

Last edited:
I am trying to attach a photo of the waste setup, should be below if it works...

100_0333.jpg

Hopefully you can see from this angle what is there. The waste comes out of the bottom of the sink into what I think has been referred to as a 'swept tee' which has the washing machine attached to. It then goes down and back up into another 'swept tee' which was previously for a dishwasher but I think they put it upside down as it looks like it would direct the flow down. The waste carries on up through the blanked off tee and then back down before going out through the back of the unit. There is a bit more pipe going off to one side at the rear which will give me a little bit of playing room to position the new sink.

If I have understood the advice given so far, I want to have a swept tea coming out the bottom of the sink with the washing machine connected as it is currently. This should then go into a simple trap before joining onto the waste out through the wall.

I'm imagining something like this: Telescopic Adaptor Trap 40mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys#

Is this right??

there is only one waste disappearing into the floor which the current mess of pipes under the sink feed into. Is there any reason why I cant create seperate wastes with traps from both the sink and washing machine which both feed into this single waste at the floor?

So if I put one of these tees on the main waste pipe before going through the floor...

transparent.gif

tee.jpg

Then connect the washing machine into one of these which will attach into one of the inputs on the above tee...

wash%20mach%20trap.jpg

Then into the other input of the first tee, connect one of these coming from the sink

trap.jpg

Excellent - that will be the waste sorted then!

I'll be abck for help with the water supply to the sink soon!

The most well illustrated thread I have seen to date, definately not a "waste" of time.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen Sink Waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am installing a sink in utility room. Washing machine waste already exists and is the verical pipe with the flexib pipe from the machine poked down the top and a with a u bend at the bottow going directly to outside drain. Is it OK to put a tee joint into the verical pipe and join the sink...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
I have moved our washing machine into the garage but there isn’t a drain for the waste pipe. The attached image is of the waste pipe with the condensate pipe from the boiler, can I use a tee join and connect the washing machine pipe? The pipe leads outside and is saddled to the main waste pipe.
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock