Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen Sink Piping/Nightmare Potential in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello - I really need some solid advice. I recently purchased a home that has started having an awful smell coming from kitchen sink. I've cleaned multiple times, including p-pipe. Finally called a plumber & they said they will have to tear out the wall & lower the pipe where my kitchen piping is connected (sorry, not a plumber) to the street I'm guessing. What I am wondering is if I replace the wonky snake like piping the previous owners installed, with a 'real' pipe, will this allow the food etc to not get trapped & eliminate the smell? (Please see photo) I really-really-really do not want to have my wall torn apart to fix this issue. I also do not have the $$ to pay $3500 for them to do it which does not include the outside restucco which will add at to my final cost. I just want to be sure this is correct. The smell is not consistent either. It comes & goes. So I'm hoping by removing the wonky snake-like hose with real hosing it will fix this issue. Maybe I could dump some pinhole down the garbage disposal & really clean it out 🧐 I truly appreciate any advice as I have ZERO plumbing experience, but I make a mean chocolate chip cookie 😁 Thank you - Thank you!!

Attachments

• 0 7.jpeg
    0 7.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 16
Yes, it seems likely that it’s to do with the flexible pipe going through the cupboard or wall, but by doing it in rigid pipework won’t eliminate it, it needs to not go uphill. Also which might be contributing is the coil of grey hose from whatever appliance that is.

Yes, it seems likely that it’s to do with the flexible pipe going through the cupboard or wall, but by doing it in rigid pipework won’t eliminate it, it needs to not go uphill. Also which might be contributing is the coil of grey hose from whatever appliance that is.
Thank you - the other grey hose connects to the dishwasher. But no smell is coming out of the dishwasher, only the sink. Do you feel there any way to NOT have to cut out my wall? It's okay if you cannot answer. It just seems like I can remove the white pipe (circled in red on pic) and replace the p-pipe connector with a pipe that is more straight across??

Attachments

• E5D46E2C-BBE8-47F0-A573-2922CC28EEAB_1_201_a.jpeg
    E5D46E2C-BBE8-47F0-A573-2922CC28EEAB_1_201_a.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 7
It’ll smell from the dishwasher hose anytime water is sent down the plughole allowing the odour in. If you can fit a straight piece of pipe, see if you can get a running trap, or a hepvo valve, as if you don’t fit a trap, smells can emanate into the property. As for exposing the wall, I’d start easy by changing the pipes as suggested just and see how’s you get on.

If the black thing is a waste disposal unit for the sink and washing machine, then there shouldn't be drain smells, perhaps a bit of stagnant water in the WDU is the cause. Or if the pipework is siphoning out the trap, then something like an air admittance valve would solve the problem. My feeling (subject to site investigation) is that if you were willing to lose the waste disposal unit, that problem could be resolved for £150 in the UK. Not sure what it would cost where you are, but I very much doubt anything close to $3000 is needed.

My advice is get a second opinion from another local plumber.

Reply to Kitchen Sink Piping/Nightmare Potential in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Just looking for some general advise, I'm renovating my kitchen and need to disconnect my kitchen sink pipes while I re-plaster the room and wait for my new sink to arrive. So I need to temporary cap off the two below connections cant seem to find what is the best way to do this.
Replies
Views
I had a potential leak in the island kitchen drain, but it's no longer an issue after using an auger through the clean-out pipe. The water seemed to be coming out from the base of the pipe. I've removed a section of drywall for inspection purposes. After filling both sinks with water and...
Replies
Views
B
Hello I’m not going to explain this very well but I will try my best. I’m planning on installing a kitchen sick by myself with no plumbing experience. I will be going from a double sink to a single basin. The part im having trouble figuring out is how to put the pipes back together with the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock