Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen Sink Piping/Nightmare Potential in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello - I really need some solid advice. I recently purchased a home that has started having an awful smell coming from kitchen sink. I've cleaned multiple times, including p-pipe. Finally called a plumber & they said they will have to tear out the wall & lower the pipe where my kitchen piping is connected (sorry, not a plumber) to the street I'm guessing. What I am wondering is if I replace the wonky snake like piping the previous owners installed, with a 'real' pipe, will this allow the food etc to not get trapped & eliminate the smell? (Please see photo) I really-really-really do not want to have my wall torn apart to fix this issue. I also do not have the $$ to pay $3500 for them to do it which does not include the outside restucco which will add at to my final cost. I just want to be sure this is correct. The smell is not consistent either. It comes & goes. So I'm hoping by removing the wonky snake-like hose with real hosing it will fix this issue. Maybe I could dump some pinhole down the garbage disposal & really clean it out 🧐 I truly appreciate any advice as I have ZERO plumbing experience, but I make a mean chocolate chip cookie 😁 Thank you - Thank you!!

Attachments

• 0 7.jpeg
    0 7.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 17
Yes, it seems likely that it’s to do with the flexible pipe going through the cupboard or wall, but by doing it in rigid pipework won’t eliminate it, it needs to not go uphill. Also which might be contributing is the coil of grey hose from whatever appliance that is.

Yes, it seems likely that it’s to do with the flexible pipe going through the cupboard or wall, but by doing it in rigid pipework won’t eliminate it, it needs to not go uphill. Also which might be contributing is the coil of grey hose from whatever appliance that is.
Thank you - the other grey hose connects to the dishwasher. But no smell is coming out of the dishwasher, only the sink. Do you feel there any way to NOT have to cut out my wall? It's okay if you cannot answer. It just seems like I can remove the white pipe (circled in red on pic) and replace the p-pipe connector with a pipe that is more straight across??

Attachments

• E5D46E2C-BBE8-47F0-A573-2922CC28EEAB_1_201_a.jpeg
    E5D46E2C-BBE8-47F0-A573-2922CC28EEAB_1_201_a.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 8
It’ll smell from the dishwasher hose anytime water is sent down the plughole allowing the odour in. If you can fit a straight piece of pipe, see if you can get a running trap, or a hepvo valve, as if you don’t fit a trap, smells can emanate into the property. As for exposing the wall, I’d start easy by changing the pipes as suggested just and see how’s you get on.

If the black thing is a waste disposal unit for the sink and washing machine, then there shouldn't be drain smells, perhaps a bit of stagnant water in the WDU is the cause. Or if the pipework is siphoning out the trap, then something like an air admittance valve would solve the problem. My feeling (subject to site investigation) is that if you were willing to lose the waste disposal unit, that problem could be resolved for £150 in the UK. Not sure what it would cost where you are, but I very much doubt anything close to $3000 is needed.

My advice is get a second opinion from another local plumber.

Reply to Kitchen Sink Piping/Nightmare Potential in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock