Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen sink pipe work - plastic nut sheared in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, still very new to this forum - this is my 2nd posting. Please help if you can. I am replacing round head taps with lever taps (am recently retired and have too much time on my hands!) and have fitted a new hot tap no probs. The cold tap has slightly different pipework - a white plastic tubular insert in the metal feed pipe and 2 plastic nuts one at top (yellow) and one (white) at bottom, and a 3rd plastic nut (yellow)
Cold Ki Tap Bottom Nut - 11.6.19.jpg
Cold Tap Ki Nut sheared 11.6.19.jpg
underneath the lowest white plastic nut. I don't know the sizes of them as my plumbers wrench (1 inch/25mm and 1.25 inch/30mm approx.) does not fit (but fitted the metal nut on the hot tap). I replaced the cold tap but after tightening up and when centring the tap with my hand I caused it to leak - so tightened it up again using a plumber's claw wrench. I am working from top down not from underneath as cannot get leverage. The top plastic nut sheared whilst tightening so I have tried removing the bottom nuts (one white and one yellow) but they just swivel around in unison. Could anyone suggest the best way of tackling this, so that I can fit the new tapCold Tap Ki Nut sheared 11.6.19.jpg Cold Ki Tap Bottom Nut - 11.6.19.jpg ? See photos attached. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response, pennywise (I'm tempted to call you scary clown). Can you tell me why the plastic tube just swivels around? I assume the new copper pipe would require soldering?

Thanks for the quick response, pennywise (I'm tempted to call you scary clown). Can you tell me why the plastic tube just swivels around? I assume the new copper pipe would require soldering?

The plastic tube just spins around because of the nature of the fitting. No the new copper would not require soldering, unless you were using soldered fittings. As per Duncan you could use any of the following:
Conex 301 Compression Straight Coupler 15mm With one of these Conex 303SF Compression Straight Tap Connector 15 x 1/2" not sure if you get the fibre washers with it? And some 15mm copper pipe.

Or you could use: one of these only (risk of tap turning). Or the push-fit, but the fittings are expensive.

The choice is yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Kitchen sink pipe work - plastic nut sheared in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock