Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen Sink Emits the Rotten Egg Smell when BATHROOM Sink is Running! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeDiego

Hi folks,

Was hoping you could shed some light on this problem so I can work out how to solve it.

My downstairs kitchen sink emits the rotten egg smell (which I've googled and learnt is sulphur deposits) when the upstairs bathroom sink is running hot water!

I've googled this problem but all the answers seem to be specific to a particular sink. I can't find a similar one to this where the upstairs sink is causing the downstairs sink to smell!

The smell isn't emitted when the shower in the bathroom is being used, and it's also not emitted when I actually use the kitchen sink. It seems solely to be when the bathroom sink is in use.

Any ideas?

Thanks

sounds like its piped wrongly and allowing the trap to be emptied when the basin runs any pictures of pipework

Yes, try to post a picture of under then kitchen sink, is it a bowl and a half bowl?

I agree sounds like pipework on the waste side needs looking at

035.jpg

Thanks for responding folks - the kitchen sink has two separate basins and plugholes, the pipe runs straight through the wall into the drain.

042.jpg

It's the grey pipe - so the smell must be running up that pipe and through the sink - but why does running the bathroom sink cause that smell?

there is no trap on the sinks so smell from drains can come up the pipe you need to get the builder come kitchen fitter back and explain what an idiot he is

Haha thanks Steve. I thought the piping looked strange not to have a u-bend. We just moved into the house a few weeks ago so no idea who did the work. Is it something an amateur can correct or am I best off calling a plumber?

you have two options try and get a trap to fit the existing install (which is going to be hard)

or get a plumber to re do the waste and re drill the hole through the wall lower

ive just realised theres something on the pipe outside cant see what it is in picture but its black? if that is a tee and the pipe carries on up to the bath room its all wrong and really you need a plumber to re run it all

ive just realised theres something on the pipe outside cant see what it is in picture but its black? if that is a tee and the pipe carries on up to the bath room its all wrong and really you need a plumber to re run it all

Gaffa tape to hold the pipe (no clips)

What a Bodge up...

Best to get it fitted with the proper traps, a Mcalpine waste kit would do the job or you could try & fit an inline Mcalpine running trap that would stop the smells backing up into the kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen Sink Emits the Rotten Egg Smell when BATHROOM Sink is Running! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe...
Replies
Views
My mother has been away on holiday for a few weeks and she has a kitchen mixer tap that has a very slow drip nothing significant - been like that for a couple of years. The mixer has a a long spout that can be rotated between sink and drain bowl. She left the house meticulously clean. I came to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
T
For about a year, my shower on a third floor is giving an on off gas smell sometimes after a shower and particularly in the morning not long after the sun rises enough to hit our roof. I usually run some water into my p-trap and the smell goes away after a few minutes. There is a tub right...
Replies
Views
Timmy1
T
For about a year, my shower on a third floor is giving an on off gas smell sometimes after a shower and particularly in the morning not long after the sun rises enough to hit our roof. I usually run some water into my p-trap and the smell goes away after a few minutes. There is a tub right...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock