Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen mixer tap leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a kitchen mixer tap which has developed a leak. It has been installed and without leaks for 18 years so I suspect a perished seal?

I attach photos of the mixer tap and the underside where it is weaping.

I would appreciate some advice on how to fix this.
20190818_115746.jpg

20190818_115517.jpg

Replace the entire tap.
That tap wasn’t top quality, but good luck getting anything decent now.
The seal between mixer and sink might have been not sealing the joint, or mixer not centred on hole properly.
(Edit, - just had second look at photo and looks like the base is cracked, so that could explain the leak).
Or the pipe tails have been leaking.
But it is rotted now and risky.
18 years is a very long life for modern taps.

I can't see a crack in the base. Do you mean the rusted base part?
I think replacing the whole mixer tap is a good option. How easy is it to remove and replace?

I can't see a crack in the base. Do you mean the rusted base part?
I think replacing the whole mixer tap is a good option. How easy is it to remove and replace?

The mixer above sink - chrome base seems to be split dead centre front if my eyes see right.
Some of those bases were stupidly made of chromed plastic, so very weak.
To remove that old mixer will depend on if that nut on the bolt underneath will slacken. Or hopefully the entire bolt will screw out. The leak has unfortunately corroded and no doubt seized it all.
Probably to fit a new mixer will be straightforward but connections might be different. Many mixer taps come with flexi hoses and some are for direct to pipe connection (compression joints) but many have a nut and flat rubber washer connection that requires Male connector.

Aldi have cheap replacements, to remove spray with wd40 cheap look alike rtn next day ....rest is easy. centralheatking

Ah yes I can see what you are referring to. The base appears to be in two semi-circular sections. There is another divide line 180° at the rear of the mixer. The base surround does appear to be chromed plastic. Is it purely decorative or does it also provide a seal?

I have looked at some new taps of a similar design and they do indeed seem to have integral flexi hoses. That seems like a more sensible plumbing solution. It would also allow service valves to be fitted at the same time as fitting the new mixer.

Last edited:
Ah yes I can see what you are referring to. The base appears to be in two semi-circular sections. There is another divide line 180° at the rear of the mixer. The base surround does appear to be chromed plastic. Is it purely decorative or does it also provide a seal?

I have looked at some new taps of a similar design and they do indeed seem to have integral flexi hoses. That seems like a more sensible plumbing solution. It would also allow service valves to be fitted at the same time as fitting the new mixer.
Mesh covered plastic flexible pipes are now de listed from NHS
installation and I understand wras are concerned about the plastic liner degrading and harbouring bacteria. Kitchen taps deliver drinking water ...its your choice...I now would not install them on any drinking water supply. Use stainless steel products or copper flexies....centralheatking

Mesh covered plastic flexible pipes are now de listed from NHS
installation and I understand wras are concerned about the plastic liner degrading and harbouring bacteria. Kitchen taps deliver drinking water ...its your choice...I now would not install them on any drinking water supply. Use stainless steel products or copper flexies....centralheatking
That's worth knowing. Thanks for the feedback.

New tap time...
When you buy one, feel its weight. Light weight = poor quality (no matter what the price). See if the part that has split on yours is brass or stainless steel. Plastic will crack eventually split if tightened up hard. Make sure the stud supplied is either stainless or brass too. They will not rot as the cheap steel one you have has.
If you wish for reliability, throw the flexis away and fit copper tails.
Take your time when centering the tap & all will be good.

Reply to Kitchen mixer tap leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock