Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen Cold tap not supplied by cold mains? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 113144

Hi There

Moved into a new build recently. Noticed that when I turn on the cold tap in the kitchen a pump in the attic seems to activate which would indicate that the cold tap in the kitchen is not fed directly by mains (however i am not a plumber so could be wrong)

Prior to noticing this pump activating, i had wondered why the Kitchen cold tap was not all that cold. There is also a cold tap in the garden which is properly cold and has much higher pressure

Questions I have are:
1 - If the kitchen cold is not mains fed, is this a breach of regulations, or just not good practice?
2- could i be wrong in my assessment of the situation, and is there a dead certain way to ascertain if the kitchen cold is incorrectly fed by the attic tank?

Many thanks

Turn the main stopcock off, preferably in the street, does the kitchen cold stop? Does the outside tap stop?
If both stop they are probably off the mains.
Can you trace the pipework?

It may be that the pump is for the rest of the house or maybe just the shower(s) and it's pressure switch is (possibly incorrectly) reacting to the pressure drop when the kitchen tap is opened.

Another way to check is to turn the power off to the pump either in the attic or at the consumer unit (turn off the whole house is needed) and see if the kitchen tap pressure drops or ceases altogether.

Does the kitchen tap run colder the longer it's been on?
The pipework to the kitchen tap is probably within a wall with insulation around it whereas the outside tap goes from the incoming mains directly outside.

Last edited:
Turn the main stopcock off, preferably in the street, does the kitchen cold stop? Does the outside tap stop?
If both stop they are probably off the mains.
Can you trace the pipework?
Thanks for this advice.

Turned off the supply from the street. The tap in the garden stopped which means i definitely isolated the street supply.

Ran the tap cold tap in the kitchen and utility room and both flowed meaning cold water is coming from the tank

Is this a pretty bad oversight by the developer / plumber?

It may be that the pump is for the rest of the house or maybe just the shower(s) and it's pressure switch is (possibly incorrectly) reacting to the pressure drop when the kitchen tap is opened.

Another way to check is to turn the power off to the pump either in the attic or at the consumer unit (turn off the whole house is needed) and see if the kitchen tap pressure drops or ceases altogether.

Does the kitchen tap run colder the longer it's been on?
The pipework to the kitchen tap is probably within a wall with insulation around it whereas the outside tap goes from the incoming mains directly outside.
Hi there. I took advice from Ben-Gee above and isolated the street supply.
Cold tap in kitchen still ran so it looks like it is not mains supply in the kitchen.

Question i have now is, what formalities can i bring to the builder now to get them to remedy. I am very appreciative of the excellent advice but i imagine the builder will brush me off unless i've something concrete to pin on him regulations wise

Water Regulations R26.2 "In houses a drinking water tap should be located over the kitchen sink and be connected to the supply pipe. ....."
Drinking (Potable) water is a Fluid Category 1 defined as "Wholesome water supplied by a water undertaker and complying with the requirements of of regulations made under section 6.7 of the Water Industry Act 1991"

The change in temperature of the stored tank water could also change the category of the water from 1 (wholesome) to 2 (impaired aesthetic quality).

So you could go as far as saying that there is no wholesome water supply.

Water Regulations R26.2 "In houses a drinking water tap should be located over the kitchen sink and be connected to the supply pipe. ***.."
Drinking (Potable) water is a Fluid Category 1 defined as "Wholesome water supplied by a water undertaker and complying with the requirements of of regulations made under section 6.7 of the Water Industry Act 1991"
Thanks for this Steadyon.

Seems like such a fundamental mistake that has been made. Hopefully fixing this doesn't mean a big rip up jpb.

Thanks for this Steadyon.

Seems like such a fundamental mistake that has been made. Hopefully fixing this doesn't mean a big rip up jpb.
I will just add this.

There is a clause that states if it is not feasible to get a direct connection to the mains supply, a tank may be used.

The tank needs to be fit for purpose and regularly inspected/cleaned.

Reply to Kitchen Cold tap not supplied by cold mains? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock