Search the forum,

Discuss Just while its on my mind in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Guys , when this chinese virus has finally “ done one “ and hopefully we have all come out the end of it fit and well I have two dirtyish open vented heating system boilers to change , both houses are full of laminate floors , solid timber floors , tiled etc etc , both customers and myself do not fancy sealing the systems so I think it maybe time to heat through a plate or LLH I have never done it before , have no idea on sizes , pumps etc etc , has anybody any info , books , websites etc etc that would be helpful. Cheers in advance #staysafegys .

Honestly i'd just seal it. If it's leaking now it'll cause more damage to the system leaving it OV. If it starts leaking when you've sealed it then more than likely it'd of started leaking in the near future.

We had a very problematic system that was dirty and had circulation issues - personally I'd of sealed it from day one however a decision was made to leave it OV. Unknown to us was a old gravity check valve under the living room floor where the back boiler used to be (Under laminate) was leaking introducing fresh water all the time and destroying the system - if we'd of sealed it from the start we'd of known there was a leak!

Plate it leave the old side open and install the new sealed as for plate 3x the heat load so if it’s 10kw 30kw plate etc

how bigs the system as for pump ?

A LLH will not separate the system from the boiler to allow pressurised and OV
Yep cheers , I realised after I had typed it lol ,
[automerge]1587022361[/automerge]
Plate it leave the old side open and install the new sealed as for plate 3x the heat load so if it’s 10kw 30kw plate etc

how bigs the system as for pump ?
Dont know exactly pal , will get back to you when things go back to normal, hopefully !!
[automerge]1587022622[/automerge]
Honestly i'd just seal it. If it's leaking now it'll cause more damage to the system leaving it OV. If it starts leaking when you've sealed it then more than likely it'd of started leaking in the near future.

We had a very problematic system that was dirty and had circulation issues - personally I'd of sealed it from day one however a decision was made to leave it OV. Unknown to us was a old gravity check valve under the living room floor where the back boiler used to be (Under laminate) was leaking introducing fresh water all the time and destroying the system - if we'd of sealed it from the start we'd of known there was a leak!

I have been lucky when sealing systems and never had any massive probs , but one of these houses the customer is more or less insistent the whole downstairs is polished wood and his Mrs will go ape if theres a problem , they would rather go OV and risk it , the other house is a maybe . Thank you

Last edited:
System boiler with a plate HX if you have space.
will you power flush the existing system or too risky?

Prob magnacleanse . Depending on the bloody virus , if it goes on through the summer into the autumn it might not happen until next year , both customers wanted it doing in spring / summer.

I have been lucky when sealing systems and never had any massive probs , but one of these houses the customer is more or less insistent the whole downstairs is polished wood and his Mrs will go ape if theres a problem , they would rather go OV and risk it , the other house is a maybe . Thank you
The way i'd sell it to them is they'd be worse off if it does leak in future as the water will just keep coming, especially if they went away and didn't turn the water off. Where as at least on a sealed system it can only leak whats in the system.

We've only had two major problems with making them sealed - one was already leaking that the customer wasn't aware of and had probably been for the last 5 years (Suspended floors, like a mould fest down there, wrecked their system) and the other system, if it wasn't already leaking it was about to blow!

Lots of very old houses around me have gone semi sealed, swing check valve on cold feed, vent capped, EV just before the pump suction and isol valve on supply to the F&E tank, closed after system fill. A 12 litre EV will only only give 0.25 bar, (0.5 to 0.75), rise in final pressure and a 24 litre, 0.15 bar, (0.5 to 0.65), rise.
Also 1.5 bar PRV.

Lots of very old houses around me have gone semi sealed, swing check valve on cold feed, vent capped, EV just before the pump suction and isol valve on supply to the F&E tank, closed after system fill. A 12 litre EV will only only give 0.25 bar, (0.5 to 0.75), rise in final pressure and a 24 litre, 0.15 bar, (0.5 to 0.65), rise.
What happens when the customer bleeds a rad and doesn't fill the F&E tank back up? You may as well do a proper job and just fill it to 1 bar instead.

It's the same as a fully sealed system in that case as you have to top up that as well after rad venting or you can leave the isol valve permanent open (F&E tank auto fill). The whole point of the semi sealed is that it gives a almost "guaranteed" lowest system pressure, only slightly higher than the static head.

Does @centralheatking 's auto fill gizmo have adjustable pressure settings?
Top Up Mate is sealed but soon Top Up Mate 2 manufactured by Flowflex will be adjustable between 1.0 bar and 1.5 bar same top up mate box but what’s inside and how it operates is exciting and better.
We produced 10,000 TUM over 2 years or so with a few left. Tum 2 already has pre orders from housing trusts for whom it was altered for. Centralheatking

Guys , when this chinese virus has finally “ done one “ and hopefully we have all come out the end of it fit and well I have two dirtyish open vented heating system boilers to change , both houses are full of laminate floors , solid timber floors , tiled etc etc , both customers and myself do not fancy sealing the systems so I think it maybe time to heat through a plate or LLH I have never done it before , have no idea on sizes , pumps etc etc , has anybody any info , books , websites etc etc that would be helpful. Cheers in advance #staysafegys .
I,d be advising both customers of the risk before an agreed price is set and the possibility of needing to trace any leak due to a pressure dropping might incurr.By all means put a leak sealer into the system.In my 20yr experience the pipe work has been ok to suffice the pressure.That said it,s better to keep your self safe in a simple conversation with your clients.Good luck mate and stay safe with always wearing your PPE at this daunting time which also should be included in your costs.👍🙏

I,d be advising both customers of the risk before an agreed price is set and the possibility of needing to trace any leak due to a pressure dropping might incurr.By all means put a leak sealer into the system.In my 20yr experience the pipe work has been ok to suffice the pressure.That said it,s better to keep your self safe in a simple conversation with your clients.Good luck mate and stay safe with always wearing your PPE at this daunting time which also should be included in your costs.👍🙏
Leak sealer in a f and e tank uck steer clear
AD284380-8383-4844-9813-EBB23E0A3A67.png

Reply to Just while its on my mind in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock