Search the forum,

Discuss Joist not reaching the end in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We are redoing a wet room on the ground floor and we have uncovered the floor boards.

I'm looking at this and I'm totally baffled.... the joist doesn't even reach the end of the room... what's supporting it is a mystery to me...

What's the best way to fix this?

It's a bit of a disaster...

1fa33ac4-37cf-4bfc-94bf-6ce2b0494d1e.jpg

It's supported by the joist it's attached to which will be supported further down or should be, if you pull another floor board or two you might see it. Main thing is it solid and secure beneath your feet?

Last edited:
Needs what's known as 'triming out ' you need a new section of joist same size as existing fitted between the joist each side to carry the floating end.
You will probably have to take bit ore of damaged joist to get it in. Needs 3 number metal joist hangers to fit it together screwfix sell them Then nail/screw them together .

I think you need to see, it may well be supported just shy of that floor boarding edge. If it's wibbly then you can go to town with joist hangers.

Attachments

• joist hangers.jpg
    joist hangers.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 29
It's sort of crunch time existing joists don't look great you either spend time/money replacing as needed bracing them up and putting bridging between then, then probably insulation before putting back floor..Remember floor needs to be as much as possible movement free for a wet room.
Or remove joists bring up concrete new dpc membrane decent thickness of Kingspan screed on top ,Could even include proper ufh if budget would stretch no movement solid forever floor up to current regs!

Do you have a plan because you can't really be doing this in a piece meal fashion and then panicking, the wet room floor will need some sloping and a drain point or you're going to be standing in puddles after a shower. This is quite a high level DIY undertaking if you have no experience. I'm not saying you're not capable as we all like a can do attitude, it's just you need to be decide early what you can and can't do and know when to get professional help and this might be that time.

Suzan the timbers look past their best i would honestly employ a carpenter for half a day to replace alot of the joists and brace the floor a wet room needs a good solid base for a succesful outcome heres one i did 2 years ago to give you a idea everything you need is available from the wetroom store one of our sponsors on here . Regards kop

Attachments

• 20181122_132600.jpg
    20181122_132600.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20181120_145345.jpg
    20181120_145345.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20201202-063805_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201202-063805_Photos.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20201202-063836_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201202-063836_Photos.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20181126_154835.jpg
    20181126_154835.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 12
Rip it out and start over make decision which way joiner to restructure or as said new membrane and level floor with concret.

Hi guys - thanks I appreciate it. Yeah there's no rush for this per say, want to plan it out probably and make sure this is done correctly. Repairing the joists isn't too hard a job, but the concrete idea is not a bad one either...
[automerge]1606918065[/automerge]
Thinking about the concrete option, doesn’t concrete expand? Just wondering how an option like that would work - I.e filling the floor with concrete

Last edited:
No, the opposite it shrinks slightly when it sets and not that it'll be that noticeable over a small area.

Reply to Joist not reaching the end in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock