Search the forum,
  • Thread starter Scotsnomad
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 10K

Discuss Johnson & Starley Economaire 32 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scotsnomad

We upgraded our J&S Warm air unit which was 30 years old and working fine but thought it advisable to get it replaced.
The installation took place on the 16th Nov 2012 and we sat back and reaped in the benefits or so we thought.
Shortly before Xmas the unit went pear shaped and failed. Our gas installation engineer had just been in for a hernia op so
was unable to assist us so we contacted J&S who sent an engineer who was in the area to assist us as it was still under
warranty. The unit had a fault in the window that indicated an absolute fault. The unit was repaired by replacing the defective
unit the engineer.

Today the unit has failed again, it has an 'absolute' failure again, I have attempted to reset it to no avail and have contacted both
my installation engineer and also J&S to get this sorted.

I am somewhat puzzled that this has now occurred twice in the two months we have had it and what are my rights

thanks for any suggestions/advice on this problem

For advice on rights then probably best on a civil rights forum or citizens advice or your lawyer rather than a plumbing forum. but if its under warranty then its Johnson and Starley's problem

For advice on rights then probably best on a civil rights forum or citizens advice or your lawyer rather than a plumbing forum. but if its under warranty then its Johnson and Starley's problem
Im not so bothered about the 'rights' aspect its more on rights regarding getting the whole unit exchanged if it continues to happen. The replacement cost me £3000 so its not a case of 'a recurring' problem.

I have contacted both J&S and the gas installer to get it remedied but what I would like to know is if this is a ongoing problem with the Economaire 32 system..

might help if you told us what the fault code is i doubt if it says absolute failure on the led screen the fault codes are available on the web and are probably in the paperwork your installer left
these are not that common any more so i doubt anyone here can say there's a known fault on this model and nothing jumped out at me on google i would just get the manufacturers back as they have repaired it once i would assume there were no installation faults

might help if you told us what the fault code is i doubt if it says absolute failure on the led screen the fault codes are available on the web and are probably in the paperwork your installer left
these are not that common any more so i doubt anyone here can say there's a known fault on this model and nothing jumped out at me on google i would just get the manufacturers back as they have repaired it once i would assume there were no installation faults
The fault indicated by a number '1' in the small window with a flashing dot in bottom right hand corner.

www. johnsonandstarley.co.uk / downloads /ZZ1088.pdf

You will find the crib for faults on page 18.... (You might have to take out the spaces as it wont allow me to post a url)

It seems that this problem may being caused by other issues, possibly the installation. Although the J&S engineer has not indicated such. Are you sure the unit and the plenum base its mounted on are correctly matched. (guessing its an up flow unit)? Don't normaly hear to many relability faults with J&S units.

It seems that this problem may being caused by other issues, possibly the installation. Although the J&S engineer has not indicated such. Are you sure the unit and the plenum base its mounted on are correctly matched. (guessing its an up flow unit)? Don't normaly hear to many relability faults with J&S units.
It was an upgraded unit from the previous J&S which was very reliable just 30 yrs old.

I am with Reg Man - J & S units for us have all been fit and forget with never any comebacks

The J&S engineer attended on Friday and investigated the source of the problem. Initially it was believed to be caused by damp however when that was discounted and he investigated further it turned out that the Gas Installer left the 'orifice' ring in the flue. This is supposed to be removed when the flue is over a certain height which in this case it was (Over 5m). Hope this helps you in some way. Thanks for your response. Now I got to go and source a pump for the water circulation as Im getting water hammer lol...

How is a pump going to stop water hammer?

Surely you need a shock arrestor?

How is a pump going to stop water hammer?

Surely you need a shock arrestor?
Sorry I might have picked up the term incorrectly. The boiler is heating the water through an indirect pipe in the combustion area and when it heats up the pipework starts a loud banging sound. I understood this term was called water hammer. The engineer who called the other day from j&S informed me that the problem would be resolved by installing a pump

Thanks

So as said J & S units are OK when fitted properly - a bit like most things hey ?
The J&S engineer attended on Friday and investigated the source of the problem. Initially it was believed to be caused by damp however when that was discounted and he investigated further it turned out that the Gas Installer left the 'orifice' ring in the flue. This is supposed to be removed when the flue is over a certain height which in this case it was (Over 5m). Hope this helps you in some way. Thanks for your response. Now I got to go and source a pump for the water circulation as Im getting water hammer lol...

So? was an installation fault. Cheer's.:hurray:

I have a unit from J&S, it was fitted after they advised the fitters it was the right unit, I don't know it was 20% less powerful (output) but they subsequently say it's more efficient and thus go... 1kw still is 1kw as far I know.

The unit has continually suffered from violent combustion, it lights with a bang. I now have lost count of haw many visits have been made to it..

At my wits end and J&S don't call or email when they say they will, I'm lumbered with a faulty unit that won't heat my house enough.

The thread is over 2yrs old. Why not register and start you own thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Johnson & Starley Economaire 32 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley warm air heating and hot water tank in airing cupboard. All has been working fine until yesterday. We had the water softener serviced and since then...
Replies
Views
Hello, recently our boiler stopped working properly, causing a lack of heat in our 14-radiator splitter in 3 storeys. having only one boiler at time it kind of working, only for one at time (and partially hot), depending on the priority in the system. We contacted Valliant for assistance...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a stone-resin shower tray, new ceramic tiles on the floor and half tiling on the walls. All the work...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
In our Village Hall we have a Ideal Concord CXS/SD40/H central heating boiler. This was installed new when we had an extension built and the existing boiler needed upgrading. The Mechanical Engineers advising the architect insisted that we had a conventional cast iron combustion chamber boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock