• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Issues with Thermostatic Shower / Noisy Pipes in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

BumpyPipes

Reaction score
Hi folks We have a weird problem.
Our shower is a Triton thermoststic run from an Alpha combi boiler.
The pipes began making a noise when the hot water was turned on (any tap) and we realised if the shower thermostat was turned to coldest setting this resolved the noise.
But .. now the hot taps (any) are running warm unless the shower thermostat is turned up - then they run hot - but are noisy! ;)
Any suggestions?
(heating is fine)

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
The banging noise could be a failed tap insert if ceramic. I highly doubt that the shower thermostat will attribute to the temperature in the rest of your taps, unless there is a back flow issue? Anything changed/installed recently?

P.s - no need to double post ;)

OP
B

BumpyPipes

Reaction score
(Oops, sorry). no nothing else has changed.
Its so strange. I’ve just turned on a hot tap and the knocking noise seems to be coming from behind the shower control. The hot tap temperature was just warm this morning and I tried upping the temp control on boiler but it didn’t really make a difference. I thought I’d try turning the shower thermostat to a ‘normal shower’ after that I rerun the hot tap and it was very, very hot (too hot to touch) so I turned down the hot water temp boiler control.
Shower is upstairs, boiler downstairs. Shower works fine apart from a water ‘thud’ when its switched on.
Anything I try/can do to help narrow down or identify the cause? Thanks for your feedback.

OP
B

BumpyPipes

Reaction score
(Oops, sorry). no nothing else has changed.
Its so strange. I’ve just turned on a hot tap and the knocking noise seems to be coming from behind the shower control. The hot tap temperature was just warm this morning and I tried upping the temp control on boiler but it didn’t really make a difference. I thought I’d try turning the shower thermostat to a ‘normal shower’ after that I rerun the hot tap and it was very, very hot (too hot to touch) so I turned down the hot water temp boiler control.
Shower is upstairs, boiler downstairs. Shower works fine apart from a water ‘thud’ when its switched on.
Anything I try/can do to help narrow down or identify the cause? Thanks for your feedback.
.. oh the engineer fitted an external expansion trap or something when he called to service it last year.

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
It could be a failure in the shower cartridge or check valves if it has them then. Any way of isolating th shower feeds?

OP
B

BumpyPipes

Reaction score
Perhaps - the shower is back to back with a cupboard. Would it be worth cutting a panel out of the plasterboard to take a look or is that not best way to go about it?

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Perhaps - the shower is back to back with a cupboard. Would it be worth cutting a panel out of the plasterboard to take a look or is that not best way to go about it?
I wouldn’t advise that unless you fancy re-plastering? If back 2 back with a cupboard are the pipes not in there?

OP
B

BumpyPipes

Reaction score
Yes they are but the cupboard interior is boarded out so pipes are all in the cavity between shower room and cupboard back wall - I think

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
open up the wall in the back of the cupboard, cut in two full bore isolating valves then take it from there

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Top Bottom