Search the forum,

Discuss Issue with 1 rad not getting hot in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I moved into a 3 bed detached property June 2018, turned the heating on in the October and found the living room rad didnt come on. The system is not a combi boiler, i have an emersion heater upstairs, it does have a magnetic filter next to the boiler.

I drained some water out of the rad and a small amount of dirty water came out and this kicked the rad into life. Since then all has been ok. Until...

All rads apart from the living room and hallway had TRV's on them. I had a plumber come out and change the hallway and living room valves for TRV's, install a new rad in the upstairs bathroom and carry out a service on the boiler. I had also asked for a flush of the system given I was aware some dirt came out when id drained some of the water in the previous year

A few hours after he left I noticed the living room rad didn't work, he came back out and spent 2 hours trying to get it running. In the end he drained most of the water out of it and let it fill back up and it started working. He said the flush wasn't warranted as both the fluid that came of the rad and the magnetic filter were fairly clean.

Since then it has worked on and off over the last 2 weeks.

First he suggested the pump was perhaps coming to the end of its useful life and to change that, but then back tracked and said the likely cause was the mircobore pipe feeding the rads and the living room being the last in the system.

I have since tried to balance the system, each time it goes off and by turning off the rads upstairs and the hallway, it kicks the living room back into life. I have opened the upstairs and hallway a 1/4 turn, starting with the furthest away from the boiler in the hope that would balance it correctly but I'm still having issues with the living rad generally stopping over night.

I have also noticed a faint periodic pulsing coming from the back of the house, which is where the boiler is located, when the central heating is on that wasn't there before. I haven't been able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from but its not obvious that its coming from the pump itself or the boiler. It sounds like its where the water is being pumped through the pipes to upstairs which is at the back of the house.

I really want to know what my options are. I'm happy to replace the pump and I'm happy to have the system flushed but are both required? From what I've read its generally obvious when the pump it defective as it will either leak or your hear it.

TIA for any advice

have you tried the pepper pig approach? Turn off every radiator at both ends...switch heating to high....open FULLY the lockshield and TRV of the rad in question. Leave it for 30-45 minutes......let it get red hot...you should hear air back at the boiler.....Once running as it should, then do the balancing once again

have you tried the pepper pig approach? Turn off every radiator at both ends...switch heating to high....open FULLY the lockshield and TRV of the rad in question. Leave it for 30-45 minutes....let it get red hot...you should hear air back at the boiler...Once running as it should, then do the balancing once again

Not tried this but certainly will give it a go. May i ask where the Peppa Pig reference comes from?

Reply to Issue with 1 rad not getting hot in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock