Search the forum,

Discuss Isolation Valves Query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi what is the purpose of isolation valves on pipes? All of my tap pipes have isolation valves and should they be fully turned for the water pressure?

Thanks

1. They make no difference to the pressure. They can make a difference to the flow.
2. They should normally be fully open.
3. Where taps have copper pipe into the body of the tap, full bore isolation valves will generally give better flow than the cheap, limited bore ones. However, if the taps are connected with flexible hoses, these are already of so narrow a bore that it makes little difference.
4. The are meant to be fitted close to each outlet, so that the outlet can be worked on independently without shutting off the water to other outlets.

Hi what is the purpose of isolation valves on pipes? All of my tap pipes have isolation valves and should they be fully turned for the water pressure?
They are 'service valves', essentially for water conservation and convenience. The idea is that if the tap washer fails you can isolate it and then change the washer easily at your leisure. I think that they are nice to have as long as they are decent quality and haven't seized open when needed. There's plenty of plumbers who'd disagree with me and say that they're more trouble than they're worth in a domestic system.

Reply to Isolation Valves Query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had new taps fitted within the last year on my bathroom sink. When turning on both the hot or cold tap, there is a vibration/squeaking noise, if the turn the tap fully on the noise stops. I have replaced the flexible hoses to both taps and fitted in-line isolation valves. The noise is now...
Replies
Views
Can anyone please tell me where I might purchase a 90° bend 15mm x 22mm Isolating Valve Thanks and Regards. Hugh
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use a push fit tap connector instead which will give me more flexibility in fitting?
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
Forgive a very basic question, but what is this device? It does not appear to be a normal isolating valve but there are two of them in the feeds to the kitchen tap,
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock