Search the forum,

Discuss Isolating water in a hotel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrlennie

Hi all I'm a domestic plumber this is my first year of working for myself.

I completed my city and guilds course and went out to start plumbing work. So far it has been great learning as I go along but sometimes I hit a snag and this is were I need help.

I need to isolate water to a mixer shower (one of 50) in a hotel and I'm hoping there are gate valves somewhere. What could I expect? Will there be a cupboard somewhere? Surely turning off the whole buildings supply of water is out of the question so where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance.

if its an old building it might be a case of having to isolate at the tanks,but u could be hunting for days trying to find them if they exist.
May be worth considering freezing if u cant locate quickly!
Good hunting.
Probably good size tanks could be speedo time with an appropriate bung between the teeth!

Try and find some one thats been there years for the heads up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response haha speedo time serious?

the building is 1970s rough guess. Wouldn't like to freeze a hot water pipe...

That would be a cold hot water pipe otherwise it wont freeze!

Aye thinking about it your right the pipe is cold as long as the water is not running. So if I can't find any gate valves pipe freezing seems the way ta go?

firstly make sure your insurance is adequate!.

are you a domestic plumber or commercial?.

we used to get reception to call all rooms and tell them the water is going off. dont do it when the kitchen staff are working, and at the queitest time of day, usually around 3p.m.

the cwst in the hotel i used to work was 1,000 gallons on the roof 4 floors up, hence insurance.

Hello luv, Ive come to change the shower in room 23, do you know where the stop valves are? lennie henry.jpg

"Mr Lennie".

Lol I like your pictures.

Yes I have been thinking about it and I think I will leave it a bigger company.

having worked in hospitals and hotels first thing we would do is look for the valve schedule a bit like a map with a list of all the valves normally found in the main boiler room...and what they serviced . but we learned that if there was a resident handyman he would have the best knowledge of the building layout and cut out a lot of time wasted looking for means of isolation give him a drink for his help and that way you have him onside if you need help in the future. The other posts are right about insurance though.regards turnpin:)

Go and have a look ! Look for service duct and as said speak to the handyman ! You might learn something from your half hour look.
We have done hotel work and even with valve shed, handyman and service ducts some jobs can be a right pain. You would question who installed this **** sometimes !!!! But explain to owner ? manager before you start and charge accordingly ;)

Brill thanks for reply where abouts would a service duct be located?

Hi went down to the hotel today one gate valve behind the mirror would never have found it except for the manager knowing where it was then the hot water gate valve for the middle floor is clearly labelled in the attic space. sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
depends what the set up is, there may be a 'pod' between 2 rooms which houses all the pipes and electrics, the caretaker or similar should know

Just considering insurance for a second:

my insurance company will cover me to do commercial, if, I call them prior to messing around.

Of course theres a fee though.

Interesting thanks for that.

I thought I might as well go down and have a look see where the waters coming from and what not as a previous poster said I may learn something,
I did learn and all the gate valves are labelled cleary, working perfectly.

Took the shower apart needs new cartridge ordering one on monday :)

most domestic insurance only covers buildings to around 15m high, ie large victorian house over 2 stories, hotels are normally higher ie 3 stories plus so you can be working with no insurance! If you cause a flood, its not just repairs your liable for, its loss of income, staff wages etc etc etc. To do commercial work you need in £10 million cover, councils now want around £20 million if you work in a school etc, dont do the work if your not covered , it aint worth the risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Isolating water in a hotel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock