Search the forum,

Discuss Isolate water supply to shower attached to comb boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Just in time for a happy new year, we have discovered a leak in our loft where a shower was installed. It looks like it is leaking from a plastic fitting on pipe work - I want to isolate the supply until I can get it looked at/replaced etc.
I have attached some photos to my post to give an idea. I can see valves on on the pipes that look like I can isolate the shower - these are on pipes that are attached to our combi boiler.

We moved into property a year ago and I have never had a combi boiler before. My question is, is it ok to turn off these valves to isolate the shower supply? Will it have any adverse affect on our combo boiler? Anything I need to know or bear in mind?

Many thanks for any advice!

pipes to shower.JPG

pipes down to boiler.JPG

isolation?.jpeg

If those two isolation valves in the last picture you posted are supplying water to the shower with the leaking pipework you can safely use them to cut water off to the leak, it won't affect your combi in anyway.

Also if you are able to isolate the water to the leak, and the leak is comings from one of the plastic fittings, you should be able to replace it yourself fairly quickly and easily (and safely). Feel free to pop back with any questions if you decide to try and fix it yourself.

shower end does look like its chrome but you can get a tool that scores the chrome so the grab ring seats correctly

shower end does look like its chrome but you can get a tool that scores the chrome so the grab ring seats correctly
What are these tools you speak of? I always file mine down and solder them but when in loft this isn't always practical so to be able to use push fit would be great

So one removes the chrome, the other creates a ridge for the grab ring to bite into. The tectite one does seem the more awkward one for tight spaces though. Has anyone actually used either and do they work?

Reply to Isolate water supply to shower attached to comb boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect heating system (have attached some photos). I was wondering if the isolation valve that would shut off the water to the hot water taps is as circled in the...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
Hi, Throughout our house there are numerous isolation valves which are on almost every plumbing fixture. Clearly whoever plumbed this had a thing for using them but I have heard elsewhere that they cause problems and are prone to leaking, especially when used after long periods. I noticed a...
Replies
Views
Hi Guy's, Looking for some advice on an issue I have having with a recently installed thermostatic mixer shower in my ensuite. Everything was working fine for a coupe of months however now the valve has started misbehaving which is resulting in having to turn the temperature valve round further...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock