Search the forum,

Discuss Is This Up To Scratch? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

acvc

Hi Folks.

I've just popped over from the Electricians' Forum to get your opinion on this. The link to my original post is here:

Scarey 'Plumber'.

If you can't link to that, the question I have is: how much inspection/checking of the electrical system/circuit do you as plumbers have to do before you can install a fixed appliance such as a combi boiler?

I've come across a situation on a job where a combi boiler has been installed on a radial circuit with the wrong rating MCB, no water or gas bonding, no supplementary bonding, 6mm main earth, flex into broken fused connection-unit left lying on a worktop next to a sink, sheathing on the cable stops about 50mm outside the box, bare earthing conductors.

He's told the customer that 'all the bonding is on the inside of the boiler'.

A spark on the Electricians' Forum suggested I report him to GasSafe.... what do you think?

Cheers Ye Plumbers.

a spark on the electricians' forum suggested i report him to gassafe.... What do you think?

Cheers ye plumbers.
me thinks gas safe only want to know about if the gas is safe NOT THE WIRING BEYOND THE SPUR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi acvc

Welcome to the forums

Well as ghost says...'it really boils my urine'' :)

And thats the last smile in the post

I see lots of shoddy work,we all do and in all fairness there is no reason at present to believe the guy is really a plumber,painter or candle stick maker

It amazes me he came back,bodged it up again in front of you and thought you would listen and except his excuse,he has made it clear by his statements ,he has no idea what he is doing,at least on the electrical side and sure remarks would give little confidence in anything else he has done

As said if he has done this on the electrical side ,what has he done with the gas,bet not commissioned or set up right and no log book filled in

Trouble is without more details,names ect not sure what gas safe will or can do,I would of advised the customer of situation and your concerns,they will have spent a lot on the works no doubt and am sure would like to make sure Ok

Get them to ring gas safe and request an inspection due to above concerns and let the system hopefully kick in

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
after reading again i agree,
the spur should be at least fitted to the wall and installed correctly with correct rated fuse or plug top.
earth bonding at meter should be within regs.

as for the state of the house mains and there set up, its an electricians job whether he expects you to do it or gets his own guy in then he has a duty for safety of installation even if he requests the customer to organise sparky for bonding and testing etc. if not then the installation is deemed to be dangerous and a.r reportable. i bet you its not been registered.

i'd follow up on the cert for it - if there isn't one then the homeowner should ask for one. If he fobs that off - get her to call the local building regs, see what they say.

I suppose the real question being asked is:

Does it comply with the Gas Regs's which may be yes or no.

The second question is: Does it comply with the Wiring Regs which would seem to be a definite no.

So who do you report it too?

Does Gasafes jurisdiction extend into the Wiring Regs? No idea but the people in overall charge are probably the HSE.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for. Why did you just not put it right as you were on the job? Plumbers are not electricians but our work can cross over to the electrical side more than the other way. Even if he was part P qualified (which just means he can read and is another example of cash for quals) he may not understand what is required or the correct way to do things.
To be honest, Gas Safe would not be interested if the boiler was plugged into the kettle. They are bad enough on gas things never mind electric. Report it if you feel it is the right thing to do but as long as the flue and gas is fine the rest of the installation could be thrown out the back of the van and they don't care.
Bit of a rant maybe :eek:

I have always worn wellington boots but perhaps a rubber mat to support them is the way forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is This Up To Scratch? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock