Search the forum,

Discuss Is This TRV or Pump issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

got called out to look at a noisy rad and this is what i found, see attached vid clip, or not...
sound is pulsed rapid tapping

all single panel rads are making the noise to some degree and at first I thought it was due to no anti vibration clips fitted. Fitted clips to one that seems loudest and has a loose bracket too but problem seems worse.

Pressure was low so topped it off and all rads are on microbore so thinking TRV/lockshield tweaking might resolve it. Got to replace a rad in kitchen so can check sludge build up and go from there.

Apparently they made noises at around 11pm and then 3 am??? need to look at timers when I go back later

Anything I am missing?

Thanks for advice and help

Ian

Can't see a link to a video clip.

At this time of year the TRV's will mainly be closed, and any water that is circulating will be being forced though small gaps at high pressure. It's not uncommon for boilers to run the circulation pump for a couple of minutes every 24 hours even when there is no demand for heat. This is to stop the pumping seizing up over the summer.

The system may be missing an ABV (auto bypass valve) or, if there is one, perhaps it's been set incorrectly.

Can't see a link to a video clip.

At this time of year the TRV's will mainly be closed, and any water that is circulating will be being forced though small gaps at high pressure. It's not uncommon for boilers to run the circulation pump for a couple of minutes every 24 hours even when there is no demand for heat. This is to stop the pumping seizing up over the summer.

The system may be missing an ABV (auto bypass valve) or, if there is one, perhaps it's been set incorrectly.
Hi Chuck,

system wont allow me to add the clip

Baxi boiler in a small flat, pump is single speed as far as I could tell, couldn't find a setting lever or button and didn't want to poke around too much, working on getting GSR so can play a bit more with boilers.

didn't notice a bypass but doesn't mean its not there, will have a good look when I go back

Flow on the trv side ?

As Shaun has pointed out not all trv's are by directional the water may be being forced the wrong way through the valve ? Causing the noise

Flat and single speed pump, this a combi? Diverter valve rattling perhaps? Or is this a pressure differential valve model? Is the heating being used currently?

Flat and single speed pump, this a combi? Diverter valve rattling perhaps? Or is this a pressure differential valve model? Is the heating being used currently?

it is a combi and heating is being used, previous tenants may have shut valves so will check they are not sticking.
Off to look at it tomorrow so will let you know how it pans out

old style rad valves on microbore pipe, I replaced 2 imperial sized rads with newer metrics which made life interesting. I had the old brittle soldered joints on 3 connections break on me so had to re-solder the bloody things. The sprung plungers in the valves were tapping away loudly on medium setting. Pre TRV possibly? And split a compression nut, must have filled and drained the system half a dozen times. Bit of perseverance and blind ignorance got it sorted in the end. Any one else had similar experiences?

Reply to Is This TRV or Pump issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock