Search the forum,

Discuss Is this soil pipe installation ancient? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

This is my first post on here so apologies if I'm not spot on straight off!

I'm about to embark on a bathroom refurb (mostly DIY). All the existing pipework is behind fitted furniture and this afternoon I took some photos from the cistern access panel to get an of what lurks behind. Ignoring the pipework which will all be removed and refreshed, the existing soil pipe connections caught my eye.

I'm the top flat of a two story building, and this soil pipe has connections for the kitchen waste, bath, toilet and toilet basin. I can't get a closer look without taking more of the bathroom apart but it looks like the branch section is cast iron, connecting to an upper vent pipe in plastic. I've no idea if it continues in plastic or iron below. The flat was built in the early 1990s if that helps.

Would it be a good idea to replace this aged looking setup or is it better to leave as is?

Many thanks

Attachments

• Photo 13-10-2019, 15 30 08.jpg
    Photo 13-10-2019, 15 30 08.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • Photo 13-10-2019, 15 36 26.jpg
    Photo 13-10-2019, 15 36 26.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • Photo 13-10-2019, 17 49 51.jpg
    Photo 13-10-2019, 17 49 51.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
No it's not acient its cast iron time saver and is used quite alot commercially as yours is a flat it's not unusual to find it being used I would leave it alone and adapt it to suit you new layout no offence but it's not a job for a DIYer really but saying that you should be able to use what's there . Kop

Local council estate near me built in '62 and probably 90% of the original cast-iron stacks are still in use today. Pipe walls were 1/2" thick and when I checked under an access cover in around 2005, they still seemed to be in a very good state internally. Much quieter than plastic too. Money no object and if there were no environmental impact in disposing of the existing, working, PVC pipe and the manufacture of new cast iron, I'd fit cast iron in my own house.

My own house has some cast iron rainwater goods on it that I reclaimed from a house built in the 1930s. These were never as thick as soil pipes, but will probably still see me out.

I expect that even if the joints fail one day, they can probably be replaced without taking the whole pipe out (unlike traditional cast iron, which can be a bit of a bugger). Only thing I would say is that you might find the existing branch connexions are not exactly where you need them and it may be worth having the the top few inches of the cast replaced with plastic to make your DIY work easier. Of course, if you can connect to the existing branches, all the better.

Consider yourself lucky.

Many thanks for the prompt responses, much appreciated.

It's only a small bathroom, nothing is moving, just being replaced so there are no new positions to adapt to and would very much expect to use the existing branches.

Should it be fairly simple to remove all the existing 32mm and toilet soil pipe and renew from the cast iron, or am I best of just removing what I need to and leaving as is?

Cheers

Thanks again KOP. I assume I can remove everything back to but not including the metal hexagonal fitting (yellow outline)? It looks like there's a thread there that the 32mm plastic connects up to? Thanks again

Attachments

• soil.jpg
    soil.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 33
Thanks again KOP. I assume I can remove everything back to but not including the metal hexagonal fitting (yellow outline)? It looks like there's a thread there that the 32mm plastic connects up to? Thanks again
Yes mate you will need a adaptor like this 32mm to 11/4" bsp if it's a basin 40mm to 11/2" if it's a bath or shower Cheers Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191014-192827.png
    Screenshot_20191014-192827.png
    322 KB · Views: 26
Usually find that tapping on the side 50mm , what i would say 2inch,
Looks like someones put a galvenised 2" reducer in to either inch and half or inch and quater. Depending on what your running into it.

Reply to Is this soil pipe installation ancient? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock