Search the forum,

Discuss Is this safe or can gas back-up? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
A while ago , we has an odd-job guy fit a new downstairs loo. He's attached the washing machine and basin waste to the top of the toilet waste, see photo. We have a septic tank and sewage smell coming up when we flush. I've assumed this is because the seal where the waste enters the ground needs redoing, but is it because he's put the waste pipe where it is? There seems to be no way of stopping the gases coming back? The pipe goes to the washing machine first, then basin,
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230201_101213.jpg
    20230201_101213.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230201_101224.jpg
    20230201_101224.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 17
There's a bottle trap under the basin but nothing behind the washing machine
There needs to be a deep seal trap to cover both. The soil pipe at the rear of the WC will be connected directly to the tank. If there is no seal, you will get gases/odours in the house.
Does the basin trap siphon out when the WC is flushed or the washing machine empties?

There needs to be a deep seal trap to cover both. The soil pipe at the rear of the WC will be connected directly to the tank. If there is no seal, you will get gases/odours in the house.
Does the basin trap siphon out when the WC is flushed or the washing machine empties?
I don't know how I'd be able to tell if the basin trap is siphoning out?

I think it might have today, which is why I posted. But it's hard to tell as the smell gets so bad in there at times. It's a tiny room.
You should really get a qualified plumber to take a look and sort the problems out for you. Sewer gas, which is what you can smell, is not good for you and at high levels is downright dangerous.

Reply to Is this safe or can gas back-up? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock