Search the forum,

Discuss Is this safe? Open vented CH system has overflow capped. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Good Evening All

I have a general question - I have searched the inter web and can't find an answer,

Recently I had an issue with a scalding hot header tank on an open vented system.
Boiler is fairly new, British Gas advised that it is being caused by sludge.
They cut out the offending pipes and re-piped. new header tank and capped the open vent into the f/e tank.

I am just a little concerned this is not safe. It is a Greenstar Ri Worcester Bosch bolier about 5 years old.
I looked in the installation manual but all the diagrams show the open vent into the f/e tank.
It's a 22mm feed from the f/e tank

I did check with BG and they assured me this is safe practice but I can't help wondering why they capped the open vent if it was just sludge. Just the replumbing should have sorted it surely. I questioned this and told it's the best way of sorting things.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks to all

is it a 22mm new pipe to the tank?

they have converted it to a combined feed and vent in theory without seeing it

If they have connected in the cold feed below where the vent is capped or if the cold feed was/is connected close to the vent then it should be OK, its also possible but unlikely in view of the re piping that they have converted your system to a semi sealed system, they would then have capped the vent, installed a non return valve in the cold feed and also installed a expansion vessel somewhere. If the boiler has a pressure gauge then you can tell as with the semi sealed the cold pressure will be ~ 0.35/0.5 bar and hot pressure ~ 1.0 bar, if not semi sealed the pressure will remain constant at 0.35/0.5 bar.

Last edited:
Any thoughts would be really appreciated.
I think some photographs showing the current installation would be helpful. Without these, one can either assume that (a) it's been done right, or (b) it's been done wrong. In case (a) it's safe, in case (b) it's not.

Reply to Is this safe? Open vented CH system has overflow capped. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock