Search the forum,

Discuss is this quote fair? central heating upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I agree with you with the shower and an electric shower however nobody mentioned an electric shower. A lot of people seem to think they are a lot better than they actually are. I think the thread you are talking about I commented on and it was just to get the point across early doors that depending on what they were doing with the extension a combi wouldn’t be suitable for two bathrooms. All that was, was to stop them getting a plan in place that they may need to change. I think the point being that a combi boiler Is not suitable for two bathrooms you are still subsidising it with an electric shower

nobody mentioned an electric shower.

I think the point being that a combi boiler Is not suitable for two bathrooms you are still subsidising it with an electric shower

Nobody has mentioned they want to run 2 12" head showers at the same time either. It gets assumed so therefore the op is not getting the best advice. What would be better would be to say that a combi wont run 2 taps at the same time so if you have 2 mixer showers they wont work at the same time not just a combi wont work for 2 bathrooms.

I would say the majority of the times I take a heat only boiler out and put a combi in they have electric showers installed as they were easier to put in than putting a pump in and running new pipework to the shower positions. But as I said it's not a bad idea to have 1 electric shower as if and when the boiler breaks down overnight they still have a means of washing.

But I suppose we will have to agree to disagree until the next time someone says they want a combi and they are told it wont work with 2 bathrooms.

But you and I both know that most people these days want a good strong shower experience. A combi boiler will not give the required water supply. Even if MIs state different we all know that a year down the line with scale etc the showering experience will have diminished. I was in a property a few days ago where if you turned on the shower in the main bathroom then the one in the en-suite you literally got no water out of the en-suite as it was a floor above. That to me is just wrong no ifs no buts. I totally 100% agree with you re electric shower as a back up and giving the option of two showers at once. However electric is never going to give a better shower than via a boiler

But you and I both know that most people these days want a good strong shower experience. A combi boiler will not give the required water supply. Even if MIs state different we all know that a year down the line with scale etc the showering experience will have diminished. I was in a property a few days ago where if you turned on the shower in the main bathroom then the one in the en-suite you literally got no water out of the en-suite as it was a floor above. That to me is just wrong no ifs no buts. I totally 100% agree with you re electric shower as a back up and giving the option of two showers at once. However electric is never going to give a better shower than via a boiler

It's no different to a 1 bathroom house and someone turning on a kitchen tap then? So using that logic you would never ever fit a combi boiler.

It's no different to a 1 bathroom house and someone turning on a kitchen tap then? So using that logic you would never ever fit a combi boiler.

Personally I am not a fan of combis when there is room for a cylinder but as long as the customer is well informed, preferably in writing so it's harder for them to bad mouth you when they later move the goal posts and the system doesn't perform as they'd hoped. Obviously not every customer is like this but we know they are out there. I am NOT talking about OP here though!

Combis are "over recommended" in so many cases I believe.

The funny thing is that I have a combi boiler in my own house. I have three bedrooms but only one bathroom and one kitchen. Bathroom has a bath with an electric shower over bath. With only two hot taps and the electric shower my combi is perfect.

If I had two bathrooms and the kids still lived at home no way would I bother with a combi. OP has their own needs.

An informed customer and realistic expectations is the key I think.

But now you are just being pedantic you and I both know that it would affect the flow and the pressure of the shower, I guess they work on the basis that the kitchen tap will not be using as much water for such a long time. I do completely see where you’re coming from mate but you’re not going to sway me. I will continue to spec the correct heating and hot water system based on the property not the occupants. If they don’t like it as I said previously they can use a different tradesmen

I have said this story before on here a couple of times. But I will say it again.

Many years ago I worked for a woman in her 60's who lived by her self. She had no intentions of leaving the house she lived in as she liked the house the neighbours etc. Her house was a 4 bed and had a bathroom and ensuite. She had a leak on her old thermal store and her boiler was getting old so she wanted that replacing too. She had 2 people come in and they were both saying she had to have a 300l invented cylinder installed she was in tears because of the cost they wanted to charge her for this tank.

I went in and got chatting to her and she only ever used the shower she rarely had visitors so literally she had a 5 min shower daily and wash her hands a couple of times. I explained to her the reasons why they wanted to install a cylinder I explained to her we could get another thermal store but they were not cheap back then, she then asked about a combi because one of her friends had a combi I replied to her my usual for the size of the house I recommend you go for stored water but because you are using virtually no water your water usage would be fine, I said the problem comes when you turn on a tap you will use pressure on something. She was perfectly happy with that as she never had guests etc.

Needless to say the company I worked for got the job to install a combi (unfortunately she got a Worcester though) I went back to a very happy customer for the remainder of my time working for that company to service the boiler and she couldn't compliment me enough for explaining to her about her system and her options.

If the next people who move in then want the combi removed and a 300l cylinder installed then that is there choice and for them to sort out someone to do it. If you have your name written on the boiler then you may get a call and explain to that customer their options the reasons the last customer went for that system and you may just get another boiler change and system upgrade so can earn more money.

When I did up my place, 13 years or so ago, the Worcester rep and technical convinced me to fit a 42Kw combi. Worse thing I did. I had 3 showers but I had one of those as elec for back up reasons. The shower, IIRC, was 10.5Kw, and was, just, okay. 2 years ago, I ripped it all out and went with sealed CH / UV HW. It is like a different world. And 3 proper showers.

Having 2 bathrooms on a combi isn’t the end of the world, necessarily, but why would you recommend something that we all know can be bettered? Agreeing that one designs a heating system based on the individual rather than the house is nonsense. Agreeing with client demands, and fitting accordingly, is fair enough, but it does not make the selection correct.

When I did up my place, 13 years or so ago, the Worcester rep and technical convinced me to fit a 42Kw combi. Worse thing I did. I had 3 showers but I had one of those as elec for back up reasons. The shower, IIRC, was 10.5Kw, and was, just, okay. 2 years ago, I ripped it all out and went with sealed CH / UV HW. It is like a different world. And 3 proper showers.

Having 2 bathrooms on a combi isn’t the end of the world, necessarily, but why would you recommend something that we all know can be bettered? Agreeing that one designs a heating system based on the individual rather than the house is nonsense. Agreeing with client demands, and fitting accordingly, is fair enough, but it does not make the selection correct.

Ok so you size to the house a 2 bed house with an ensuite would you fit a 120l unvented cylinder? No didnt think so because they would run out of water in minutes, that would be sized to the house though.

As I said let's just agree to disagree until the next time as I'm bored to death now.

The amount of complaints I have in regards to someone opening a kitchen tap while someone’s in the shower is unreal ripped a few combis out due to this

And how millsy as the cost is nearly the same eg Combi Boiler vs a heat only and unvented/ thermal store under £ 200 difference

So i guess there labour prices were high

The amount of complaints I have in regards to someone opening a kitchen tap while someone’s in the shower is unreal ripped a few combis out due to this

And how millsy as the cost is nearly the same eg Combi Boiler vs a heat only and unvented/ thermal store under £ 200 difference

So i guess there labour prices were high

Depends on what your fitting

300l megaflo well over a grand. So mega flo and system boiler £2k easy.

Depends on what your fitting

300l megaflo well over a grand. So mega flo and system boiler £2k easy.

400l gledhill twin coil around the 700 mark

Alpha GS40 flow smart

hi guys me again.
could i have an opinion on this boiler please?
i've read conflicting reviews on its reliability.

regards

I’m not a fan but some people on here will steer you.

Worcester do a 50kw combi now that does 18lpm, i'll just throw that in the mix :p Probably needs a 35mm gas run nearly.

OP - you need to be looking at something more decent like a german manufacture (Stay clear of Worcester though).

me again

as part of the works i am after a gas first fix in kitchen.
there is an existing gas pipe in kitchen and one guy said that is already a first fix.
shouldn't a gas tap be installed?
see pic

20190518_133606.jpg

Depends if it’s still live

Is the pipe still live? The tap would be fitted between that outlet and the appliance. What are you expecting the kitchen supply to serve?

Very difficult question without seeing what is actually involved. But if they give you what you want with a Worcester filter and are accredited by Worcester that’ll give you a 10 year warranty. The appliances are not cheap, but I would have a few quotes and not estimates. Recommended installers are worth paying for

hi just to update you.
got another two quotes and ended up choosing the installer who will install a valliant echotec 838, 13 stelard rad and two towel rail rads. this quote was 3k more than the alpha installer but a very similar price to the two worcester 42cdi quotes we got.

Reply to is this quote fair? central heating upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock