Search the forum,

Discuss Is this my stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm having trouble finding my stopcock but I have found this under my boiler upstairs. It's located in the cupboard where there old water tank would have been in the bathroom over the kitchen. There is no stopcock under the sink downstairs this is all I can find
20190903_014032.jpg

It looks like you are correct, especially as it t's off up and down.
Give it a gentle turn and see what happens. It is clipped but I would use one hand on the tap body and one to rotate the tap head. If it is your mains water cold in the kitchen will stop. It may dribble a bit so open a cold tap,upstairs and let the retained cold water drop out.
centralheatking. Its quite cute that on my profile I have the flag of the free state while I am in Cork. chking

If you live in a house. It is normally down stairs. Under the kitchen sink/garage/toilet.

I am gas, not a plumber. But mains water into the house is normally blue MDPE , and is downstairs. Oddities do occur, but I am guessing that is NOT the main stopcock. But could be wrong

I too very much doubt that this is your mains stopcock, it is very unusual to find one upstairs. They can sometimes be found in the most unusual place like under the stairs, utility room, downstairs cloakroom, or garage but I have never found one upstairs unless it is a flat. You may even find that you do not have one at all & have to use the one outside in the path, drive or garden.

If that's upstairs it's unlikely that's the Main stopcock, more likely it's a new supply put in for a shower maybe?

Depending on the age of the property, as Darren above, it may not have one inside or it may be under a wooden floor downstairs if you have one.
Could also be hidden / lost under / behind newer kitchen units.

What type of property and age?
If older did it have an ouside toilet or washhouse ?

Thanks for all the replies. Turns out it is the stopcock for the whole house. I finally just decided to turn it after searching downstairs under the sink, under the cupboards and behind the washer. It was quite stuck but I managed to get it to turn. It is a end terrace house built 1900 but honestly everything in this house when I moved in was done in quite an unusual way this is just another odd thing o_O Thanksguys

Reply to Is this my stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock