Search the forum,

Discuss Is this illegal/dangerous! in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

hi

can any qualified heating engineer comment on this set up that i just discovered at my elderly parents house?

on a recent visit, and upon being told by them that "the heating is not working well" i discovered that their oil boiler heating system needed topping up via the filling loop. Pressure gauge was reading almost zero. So i topped it Up. It is a large Grant condensing heat only boiler with pressurised system with filling loop and exp vessel Etc. The system was installed new about 3 yrs ago by a (so called) professional heating company…

whilst topping up the system to 1 bar, i noticed something that seems abnormal to me. (I have a bit of plumbing experience).

1) there is an isolator valve on the pipe that leads to the expansion vessel (labeled A on my photo). To me this seems not a great idea to place an isolator valve here since if accidently left closed then there is no longer any expansion ability…worst still, the pressure release safety valve is located at the exp vessel. So if the isolator valve was accidently set closed, then the safety release is not available to the system. i can understand why maybe an isolator valve helps with maintenance checks on vessel but surely it still demands that safety release cannot be isolated in this way. It this permitted?.. … but wait it gets worse,,

2) unless I am missing something, it appears to me that the output port on the safety release valve is capped!!…tightly with ptfe tape too. (Labelled B on photo). This suggests to me that the safety release can never release!!!

Am I missing something or has this so called certified engineer left a dangerous installation.

Your thoughts welcomed

Attachments

• 12F9CC2C-180F-40DB-931E-B7D6BD676D55.jpeg
    12F9CC2C-180F-40DB-931E-B7D6BD676D55.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 31
Is there another pressure relief valve?
Does the boiler have one internal

there is no other relief valve visible on the pipework anywhere. I did not check inside the boiler casing. I will do this. However i suspect i will find just the flow and return pipes connecting onto top of the boiler. There is certainly no relief pipework that ejects from the casing.

Reply to Is this illegal/dangerous! in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock