Search the forum,

Discuss Is this cylinder vented or unvented? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have this cylinder in the airing cupboard. Is it a vented or invented system? There is no water tank in loft.
thanks for any help.

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 63
So KOP its vented heating water and mains pressure hot water, is G3 still required on one of these? Being mains HW I assume yes
They are no longer available bud but there is a replacement and apparently G3 is not required I would of said it was but Manufacturers instructions say no so there's your answer bud nice bit of scrap when you strip em out 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200328-204223.png
    Screenshot_20200328-204223.png
    267.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Are these cylinders any good or should I be thinking of replacing at some point?
Replace it with an Unvented cylinder and upgrade the system. Never been a fan of thermal stores.
[automerge]1585436171[/automerge]
It's vented bud a Range Flowmax combination cylinder. Kop
It's not a combination cylinder then is it, it's a thermal store. Even your screenshot says that.

A traditional combination cylinder is a HW cylinder with an integrated tank above. A thermal store is a tank that stores water whether that be a vented system like the one shown or a sealed one.

Replace it with an Unvented cylinder and upgrade the system. Never been a fan of thermal stores.

It's not a combination cylinder then is it, it's a thermal store. Even your screenshot says that.

A traditional combination cylinder is a HW cylinder with an integrated tank above. A thermal store is a tank that stores water whether that be a vented system like the one shown or a sealed one.
Replacing with vented cylinder: Wouldn’t that mean having to have a tank in the loft?

So KOP its vented heating water and mains pressure hot water, is G3 still required on one of these? Being mains HW I assume yes

don’t need to be g3 for these

Replacing with vented cylinder: Wouldn’t that mean having to have a tank in the loft?
Mr Evil said unvented David this virus chaos is having its effect on us all we are a touchy, sit tight keep what you have the problem I find with them is in the summer the unit is always hot to be able to produce the hot water supply as it's not stored . Regards kop
[automerge]1585465742[/automerge]

Yes it's a thermal store bud and your description of one above is correct . Keep well bud

Attachments

• inCollage_20200329_080048490.jpg
    inCollage_20200329_080048490.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Jezzz , its a thermal store , no G 3 needed . Full stop .
They are absolutely fine until the day they leak and then its a new one .
Ideally you would replace it with an unvented , but there maybe a reason why its there in the first place, generally its the discharge pipe that is the problem.

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. I'm planning to add Evohome TVR'S / controls to my very basic system to give more controllability! So I'm trying to get my head around what I'm going to need. If it's vented I need one type of Evohome fitting and for unvented a different sort. I don't want to change the cylinder unless there's no alternative.
Thanks again for help!! Keep safe.

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. I'm planning to add Evohome TVR'S / controls to my very basic system to give more controllability! So I'm trying to get my head around what I'm going to need. If it's vented I need one type of Evohome fitting and for unvented a different sort. I don't want to change the cylinder unless there's no alternative.
Thanks again for help!! Keep safe.
You'll struggle to get Evohome to work correctly with a Thermal Store - the store has to be Hot to supply heating. The HW control on the EvoHome isn't suitable for what you require, the HW kit on the Evohome is for stored HW, which you haven't got (basically you system works in reverse to a normal HW cylinder. The store is Hot and the cold water goes round a coil in the cylinder to heat).

Have to agree with Evil the set up you have is not really suitable for Evohome I would advise upgrading to unvented when possible. Kop
What would be the simplest and cheapest way of upgrading my existing system? Worcester Condensing boiler in utility, thermal store cylinder on landing?
[automerge]1585567506[/automerge]
Yes but you'd have to leave the 'HW' on the clock permanently on and just use the Evohome to control the Heating side.

As I take it as it stands, you have to have the HW on with the CH on?
yes, here's a photo of my controller.

Attachments

• programmer.jpg
    programmer.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 3
What would be the simplest and cheapest way of upgrading my existing system? Worcester Condensing boiler in utility, thermal store cylinder on landing?
[automerge]1585567506[/automerge]

yes, here's a photo of my controller.
Any pictures of the boiler if it's as old as the controls then you may consider a full upgrade ? . Kop

Reply to Is this cylinder vented or unvented? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock