Search the forum,

Discuss Is this both the pump and the three way valve together or only the one component? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I have two issues that may be caused by one issue if that makes sense.
First is that the central heating will only come on when the upstairs hot water tap is running (usually the three way valve from what I have read)
Second is that when the heating is actually on the downstairs rads are cool (which I think usually means the pump has gone or has seized.
My question is would one of these items cause both issues? Or do I have both the three way valve and the pump need looking at?
The three way valve was fitted about 7 years ago and the pump was fitted around 4 years ago.

Hello plimmy, I’m guessing you have a combi boiler? Rads being cool can be the pump, but could also be a balancing issue, trapped air in the top, or a blockage. A better idea of your system would be better, boiler make and model, how many rads, property size wouldn’t be a first step.

Hello plimmy, I’m guessing you have a combi boiler? Rads being cool can be the pump, but could also be a balancing issue, trapped air in the top, or a blockage. A better idea of your system would be better, boiler make and model, how many rads, property size wouldn’t be a first step.
Hey and thanks for the informative reply. After I posted this I thought I’d check on the power setting....... it was at minimum doh!!
So that just leaves the heating issue which I’m sure is caused by the three way valve. I will
test next by turning the hot water off at the switch and see if it still heats up the rads ruining the hot water...... if that makes sense

Reply to Is this both the pump and the three way valve together or only the one component? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock