Search the forum,

Discuss Is this a good partnership Honeywell Evo Home and Intergas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

I have a Honeywell Evo home in my house. It's connected to an 11 year old Potterton Gold HE28 system boiler and unvented Cylinder.

The house is a solid brick house with a rear extension and loft .

5 bed , 4 bathrooms around 3000 square feet.

The rooms retain heat at different rates. The extensions and lofts are very warm , where as the entrance hallway and bedrooms on the first floor are very cold as the bedrooms have 2 external walls.

The Evo works great but the boiler i's noisy, forever cycling on and off and burns through a lot of gas. I am currently going for £10-12 a day.

That's with unused bedrooms not being heated and rooms that are not in use not being heated.

I want to plan changing the boiler and want to use one with Open Therm tech.

The Intergas came recommended to me from EvoHome shop where I bought the Honeywell from . From the sounds of it is sounds great, flue recovery, less moving parts etc.

I've spoken to a few installers who recommend them too- but they would as I found them from the Intergas website.

Are they a good boiler? Any other alternatives. Finally which one would be a good one? I can get the Xclusive 36 for £1199 incl VAT from the Intergas Shop. But it's hard to see the difference between the range they offer.

Finally would I really see any savings? Would a new Intergas with Open Therm and Flue recovery be noticeably more efficient than an 11 year condensing Potterton.

Thanks for reading!

Sully

TBH it depends more on the fitting

I would go with Viessmann personally

As spares are something to think of and intergas can be hard to find

Intergas make an excellent combi boiler. I am a P5 installer and have fitted a number of their Eco RF models.

It will be more efficient than your current setup.

However, if you are concerned about saving money, money spent on insulation has the fastest payback time of all energy saving measure. i.e insulated (internal or external) those solid brick walls.

Thanks for your replies.

Comfort over savings is more important at the moment. However saving , or making back some of the investment would be nice!!

The hallway loses so much heat that the moment the heating is off it's cold.

I am going to carry out some work , of which boiler replacement , A new front door (currently have a wooden drafty one)and insulating the externals walls are on the list. I can't go the full whack and put on 100mm but will put on 32mm plasterboard backed insulation board.

I am hoping with all the above it should mean the house will be more comfortable .

I would batten the walls internally add celotex type insulation between the battens then over board, I am a P5 installer and fit intergas their products are very good and are designed to work well with Honeywell controls , saying that you will not save money by just replacing the boiler you need to address the leakage of heat from your home to see saving on your feul costs . Cheers kop

Thanks Kop. Looked into method above but to do any more than 40mm will triple , if not quadruple the price. I have glass bannisters etc going up the wall which i can move to accmodate the 40mm but will need complete replacement if I went any bigger.

100mm would lose a lot of interal space on two of the bedrooms too.

From what I read you get diminshing returns on insualtion.

Eg 50mm insualtion. Rooms feels warmer. retains heat better, adding another 50mm to existing 50mm you don't get double the results. The savings, heat retaining etc become a lot less noticeable.

I have found some 37.5mm plasterbacked board by Celotex which gives the same insulation qualities as 50mm.

I really wish the cowboys developers had addressed all this at the time they revdeveloped it. Would have saved a lot of grief.

It maybe time to think about replacing the boiler but if it's short cycling (with some areas of your home remaining cold and very warm) then your system isn't set up properly. By replacing you will make some efficiency savings but not enough to justify the outlay, also Evo doesn't have weather comp something worth considering.

Last edited:
Hi Gmartine

The current set up doesn't short cycle. All the rads do get warm and hot and function as they should.

However the rooms retain heat at complete different levels.

Eg bedrooms in the middle floor , one bedroom has gone from 18 at 21:00 last night to 13.5 right now. (heating turned off at 21:00.

The study is currently at 18- and the study hasn't had any heating on since 8am-11am yesterday morning. Study is in the loft so insulated better.

I was just thinking the constant firing up and down of the Potteron due to different rooms calling for different heat and different levels would be really inefficent than having an Open therm boiler that has a steady flow adjusting the burner as of needed

Last edited:
Hi Gmartine

The current set up doesn't short cycle. All the rads do get warm and hot and function as they should.
However the rooms retain heat at complete different levels.

Well I've never come across that before. Do you really think you have the only house with different rates of heat loss in each room and that the installation of an open therm boiler is the answer? Good luck with that.

I don't know the answer- hence I am on a forum asking for opinions. Maybe I've misunderstood shorty cycling (I've assumed it means some rads are not warming up properly). Will have a look at the video you have posted too. Haven't had a chance yet.

Reply to Is this a good partnership Honeywell Evo Home and Intergas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock