• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Is there such a think as a water pipe non return valve? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

EvilDrPorkChop

Gas Engineer
You will have to be aware every time you run a hot tap the pump will run. It can be quite annoying.

Personally i'd chuck the 750 towards an Unvented cylinder. The better all round solution if it's possible.

But the £750 doesn't sound unreasonable. There's probably £200/300 in the pump at least.

Thanks for the reply. I just had a new boiler installed 18 months ago so replacing it seems a bit of a waste. You are right about the pump - £250 - £380 is the range he is also going to replace two plugholes for clickers and tidy up some pipe work so I guess if you add that to you thinking the price isnt unreasonable then it makes it more than ok. I am getting a second quote tomorrow so I'll see how that pans out but the first guy has a very good rep. Thanks again.

EvilDrPorkChop

Gas Engineer
Y
Thanks for the reply. I just had a new boiler installed 18 months ago so replacing it seems a bit of a waste. You are right about the pump - £250 - £380 is the range he is also going to replace two plugholes for clickers and tidy up some pipe work so I guess if you add that to you thinking the price isnt unreasonable then it makes it more than ok. I am getting a second quote tomorrow so I'll see how that pans out but the first guy has a very good rep. Thanks again.
You wouldn't need to replace your boiler. You can just replace the hot water cylinder and the boiler would stay existing.

Ric2013

Plumber
Seems not unreasonable price, if you want to take that route. Last shower pump I fitted was in an airing cupboard to an existing shower (shower was already plumbed back to the cylinder - badly). So fit pump, modify cylinder connexions, new cold from the cistern in loft, and patch up existing pipework ended up taking 2 very long days and an hour. Had I not already provided a fixed-price quotation for the job, I'd have been charging for three days' labour and, of course, the pump and fittings (especially if the installer is providing Y strainers to protect the pump) will not be cheap.

Thanks for that. What you say is very helpful. I think I am going to go with the original plumber and the pump. Thanks again for your help.

Reply to Is there such a think as a water pipe non return valve? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net