Search the forum,

Discuss Is there a way of finding out if you have a block forming in the toilet pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bexbex

Basically we have a toilet which most of the time is fine and flushes everything no problem and leaves no traces.
But maybe once a week someone would, do their business and a while later it would appear back in the bottom of the bowl. The toilet paper wouldn't though.

It is strange, how come most of the time peoples waste disappears completely fine, but occasionally will re appear.

Could I have the start of a blockage forming?

Any way I could find out if my toilet is starting to get blocked? I wan't to know if a build up is starting before It can get worse.

(I live in the UK, all the toilets are connected to the street where everyones waste goes. We live in a rented house and don't want to get a plumber out.)

Post a video.

I don't think I have explained myself very well.

Maybe we have a little obstruction meaning somethings will flush completely and others wouldn't fit through?

How can I find out if we have a blockage forming which could be a problem in the future?

I know the problem...

It is the male... His waste is thicker than a ladies, therefore sometimes he cant drop the kids off to school or when he does drop them off the kids try to rush back to find the father

Hope this helps x

the only way to check for sure would be to take the toilet out and check where it joins the soil pipe. sometimes you will get obstructions forming. obviously you need to isolate the water.

Roll your sleeves up.

You sure it's climbing back in?

Might be Mr Hankey.

although it isn't blocked at the moment, It has been flushing fine recently.
If i plunged it would it release the obstruction that may or may not be there?

In all seriousness though, maybe it's not going down in the first place and you're just noticing it's still there next time you use the bathroom. I mean how many of us stand there watching and waiting to see if the flush is doing it's job every time?

not necessarily, it has probably built up over time and quite hard mostly limescale. what is your water like hard or soft?

hah oh gosh maybe I should have left out the fact peoples waste sometimes appear. Not nice I know but I was just trying to explain my point.

Could I pour a toilet unblocker down the toilet for good measure?
That wouldn't do any harm surely?

not necessarily, it has probably built up over time and quite hard mostly limescale. what is your water like hard or soft?
South of england. Bournemouth area.
I have no idea what the water is like, but tastes alright straight from the tap!

True, Although why wont it go down in the first place?
Would it be a problem with every toilet if too much paper is used?
Or should toilets cope, and we have a build up occurring?

could well be (if there is a problem)

floaters.

root ball in waste pipe forming (swells when wet stopping solids)

toilet freshener cage stuck in 's' bend where its restricted.

is there any bushes outside?

could well be (if there is a problem)

floaters.

root ball in waste pipe forming (swells when wet stopping solids)

toilet freshener cage stuck in 's' bend where its restricted.

is there any bushes outside?

Yes we do have bushes outside..

Why?

then you may have a root ball forming.
does the water empty from the bowl quickly?

then you may have a root ball forming.
does the water empty from the bowl quickly?

oh really I hope not!

Why this problem only happen rarely?

The water empties from the bowl and a normal flushing pace. The bowl never fills up, like it does when you get a blockage.
The flushing doesn't seem to have a problem.
I think maybe a little obstruction down the pipe needs shifting.

bite the bullet and get a proffesional out ! possibly take the toilet out or get a camera down the toilet or up the drain.

bite the bullet and get a proffesional out ! possibly take the toilet out or get a camera down the toilet or up the drain.

I really don't want to call on professional help just yet! Not serious enough I feel.

Because 95% of the time the toilet works perfectly, just occasionally not everything is taken, a few bits of toilet tissue would be left behind or something.
And the bowl doesn't fill up when flushed, it all seems fine.

I just want to know if I plunged it, if there was an obstruction with the toilet pipe, would it appear if plunged well enough?

I'd be very surprised if anything 'appeared' but give it a plunge if you insist and let us know what happens.

I'd be very surprised if anything 'appeared' but give it a plunge if you insist and let us know what happens.

Oh okay
What could be causing this issue of tissues being left behind etc?

Is the load too much for the pipes to go at once do you reckon, or something more serious?

Oh okay
What could be causing this issue of tissues being left behind etc?

Is the load too much for the pipes to go at once do you reckon, or something more serious?
Possibly an insufficient volume of water. Does your toilet have a dual flush - little button and a big one?

could this be someone flushing sanitary products or other non flushable items causing occasional partial blockage. Could also be your diet like just having either a particularly heavy/floaty load.

Possibly an insufficient volume of water. Does your toilet have a dual flush - little button and a big one?
How could I go about adding more water.
Adding more to the tank ontop?

And nope it isn't a dual flush. Just a normal one

could this be someone flushing sanitary products or other non flushable items causing occasional partial blockage. Could also be your diet like just having either a particularly heavy/floaty load.
This may be true. What kind of think could I do to get rid of a occasional partial blockage?

Ha Oh i wish i didn't bring the waste into this now. Sometimes we could just put alot of paper in the bowl and not all of it would get flushed. So not 100% waste issue If you see what I mean

Maybe the toilet doesn't conform to Annex F of BS EN 997 - also known as 'The British Standard Turd' test?

From everything you've told us so far it doesn't sound like you have a blockage. If on the very odd occasion everything doesn't disappear with the first flush but does with a second flush then it's fine. 95% success rate isn't bad in my opinion.

Last edited:
hahaha if thats what you like watching people taking a no 2. What ever floats your boat :sailor:!!!
Ha ha, with this thread appearing so soon after the one with the dodgy video link I thought it could be the same person with a duplicate account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is there a way of finding out if you have a block forming in the toilet pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock