Search the forum,

Discuss Is there a problem with my Dad's storage tank? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My Dad heats his water and house with an oil fuelled boiler. He has an unvented storage tank which also has an immersion . The tank is covered with foam insulation. He lives alone and his tank is about the same size as my 250 litres unvented megaflo tank. His tank is set to 60 degrees on side of tank . He has the boiler heat the water for an hour in the morning for a shortish shower and washing up , (not much) .If he wants more hot water in evening for say a bath, he says he needs to heat water again for an hour.
However I find that my megaflo keeps my hot water hot for much longer, if I just heat water for 40mins. I can have a short shower say 5 -10 mins on day one and then say miss a shower the next day , do a little washing up but still have hot enough water on third day for a shower.
Could there be something wrong with his storage tank ?
thanks for your thoughts
Betty

To keep the stored water hotter for longer you want the cylinder constructed with materials with high specific heat and low thermal conductivity. Copper is a great conductor of heat and therefore will conduct heat to its surroundings more readily than other materials. The foam insulation is obviously to slow this transfer of heat down but doesn't completely stop it.
Most modern day cylinders are far more efficient at keeping the stored water hotter for longer.
When it comes to reheat times an older copper cylinder will take longer as the coil output is much smaller than modern day cylinders.

However I find that my megaflo...
I think the difference in behaviour is most likely to be down to a difference in the heat exchanger coils between the two tanks and/or the circulation rate. A Megaflo can reheat fully in about 30 minutes, give or take, providing the CH can deliver enough heat. Not all models of cylinder perform this well. Also, some installers deliberately throttle the amount of heat that is supplied to the DHW tank to prevent it starving the radiators.

Something strange alright because if one assumes that the temp was a minimum of 42C after the hour then if the coil is heating say 200 Litres of that 250 litre cylinder then a coil output of ~ 5kw would achieve that and should still have a large volume remaining at ~ 38C in the evening even if its losing say 0.5C/hr.

Reply to Is there a problem with my Dad's storage tank? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my 20-year-old unvented cylinder (an Ariston Classico HE STD 150) 5 days ago and I hadn't noticed that it was leaking. He fixed the leak today but now the...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Morning All I have a Megaflo unvented cylinder . Water had been dripping into the tundish so I tried to recharge the air gap, but when I went to turn the pressure relief valve it would not turn at all, as it usually would. My shower has been dripping in the bathroom next door , could in anyway...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock