Search the forum,

Discuss Is the Plumber Responsible? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

About a month ago we had a new shower fitted by a plumber, they fitted a new waste pipe. Fast forward to today and our ceiling downstairs has a large leak and has fallen. It looks like the leak has came from the waste piping and having tested the mains it is not leaking at all.
We have called our plumber many times and left voice messages he is not responding at all.

What is he responsible for?
As now the ceiling is completely ruined and we are worried about turning the electrics on as we have a leak.
Will he even have to fix the problem and where do I stand as we are currently on lockdown?

First take pictures from distance and closer before removing the ceiling from the floor. Now depending on how you paid send a recorded letter and another voicemail informing him of the situation and should he fail to respond then you will have to get a third party involved and you will be claiming the costs (resaonable costs mind not a 24hr emergency call-out cost).

You need an electrican to check that side of things or to make good asap.

About a month ago we had a new shower fitted by a plumber, they fitted a new waste pipe. Fast forward to today and our ceiling downstairs has a large leak and has fallen. It looks like the leak has came from the waste piping and having tested the mains it is not leaking at all.
We have called our plumber many times and left voice messages he is not responding at all.

What is he responsible for?
As now the ceiling is completely ruined and we are worried about turning the electrics on as we have a leak.
Will he even have to fix the problem and where do I stand as we are currently on lockdown?
I might be worth claiming on your insurance ....just to get it done Centralheatking

Good thing it’s a nice dry spell ... get the windows open and get it dried as quickly as possible .

As for the electrics, are there any lights in this part of the ceiling? If so do not use them .... and yes get a spark to look at them .... but call your insurance first as they may not pay a 3rd party invoice

1. Did you pay for the works in full and on time?
2. As Scott said above, run shower and see where it's coming from.
3. Plenty of pictures before you clean up.
4. If no response on phone then as RPM said, recorded delivery letter. Although at the minute this may be no good as deliveries aren't being signed for or are being signed for by the deliverer.
5. Do you have other bathing facilities in the house?

The problem will come if you are unable to contact him and get somebody else in to resolve. You need to give notice for the original guy to repair before getting somebody else, or be able to prove that you tried to contact them.

It may be something simple as a loose waste compression joint, but you will see when you run the shower.

Post some pics of what it looks like from underneath.

The guys have covered all your options really take plenty of pictures as you go along and write down your findings , I would be tempted to remove a section of ceiling below so you can see where the problem is run the shower and find the leak , if your plumber doesn't answer it may be better to employ someone else . Kop

Thanks for the input guys. Bit of an update: the leak is coming from the waste pipe. He did answer his phone once and agreed to come and have a look at it Friday morning. He didn't turn up and is now not answering his phone again.
I'm quite surprised as he has 50 5 star reviews on google and is trading as a limited company.

Do you think going down the legal route is now the best option?

. He didn't turn up and is now not answering his phone again.
I'm quite surprised as he has 50 5 star reviews on google and is trading as a limited

Hum, it is the weekend.

Have you tried emailing him?

As for online reviews and stars.... all I can say is don’t always believe them

Thanks for the input guys. Bit of an update: the leak is coming from the waste pipe. He did answer his phone once and agreed to come and have a look at it Friday morning. He didn't turn up and is now not answering his phone again.
I'm quite surprised as he has 50 5 star reviews on google and is trading as a limited company.

Do you think going down the legal route is now the best option?

He will have a liability insurnace (unless total cowboy) which is exactly the course that these kind of incidents take. If remedial work is superficial only you can sort it via another contractor and keep the invoice which will be reimbursed by his cover (if he isnt covered this can be used in court to recover off his person). If you have issues with electrics, flooring, ceiling, best to save yourself stress and let the insurance company get their contractors in.

Finally if you arent having any luck or things are dragging on claim on your own house insurance when your contract rolls over make sure to ditch that insurer and go with another insurer has worked for me when had whole kitchen flooring replaced and after switching paid less than I did before the claim!

First take pictures from distance and closer before removing the ceiling from the floor. Now depending on how you paid send a recorded letter and another voicemail informing him of the situation and should he fail to respond then you will have to get a third party involved and you will be claiming the costs (resaonable costs mind not a 24hr emergency call-out cost).

You need an electrican to check that side of things or to make good asap.
@N plumber, please feel free to say what you disagree with.

If you do claim on your insurance make sure that you tell them who installed It and when because they’ll be looking to claim back from the plumber on his insurance or from him himself for any of your uninsured losses and indeed theirs as well.

Reply to Is the Plumber Responsible? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock