Search the forum,

Discuss Is replacing a kitchen sink as faffy as I make it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I've done a few and they seem to involve quite a lot of nonsense before you start work. Measure the sink, measure the work surface around it and how much more you could edge into if need be. Measure as best you can the existing cut-out size from underneath. Measure width and depth of bowl(s) and position of partitions / back sections / objects that might be in the way. Discuss colour, style, drainer side, build material and dimensions they want, price they are hoping to pay. Then spend about an hour surfing through examples on various websites until you find one that more or less matches, often resorting to plump for one that involves widening cut-out because nothing quite seems to fit. Factor in changing cut-out, altering waste and water feed pipe-work and submit a quote. Total time before even getting a small job quoted on - couple of hours?

Or do you walk in and say any colour as long as it's stainless, prob alter cut-out to fit, this much roughly, couple of tap flexi's, take it or leave it, bosh.

Or...even riskier... do you leave it up to them to buy their own? Ah yes, well your new sink is lovely. But 30mm too short.

Anything you like if its stainless steel, I measure the sink make sure I can get one, bosh!

If you want anything out of the ordinary, over to you.

Bathroom, I supply contract bath etc. its white what more do you need, if you want anything special again, you go look for it.

I quote a half day rate and a day rate depending on what you buy, straight swap still faffing about etc, isolators drain down half a day, cutting work tops etc going to be a day, not going to be able to do 2 jobs in that day (probably).

If someone quotes £60 incl parts let them do it, I'd rather sit in the cafe drinking tea waiting for an emergency to come through!

Same as taps, I carry a spare kitchen mono block, if you want something flash then you go and choose it, it'll take up to much of my time that they're not going to pay for and its not even appreciated!

i fit any sink from b and q cos they are local and i get em at trade point price so make a few quid before i start. new taps they get shown a t/station /screw fix catalogue they pick i collect along with sink. mark up on sink covers me picking stuff up, charge accordingly for the installation.

if it pops straight in the existing hole £xx if i need to get the jigsaw out and cut then its £xx

quick measure of sink if they accept. obviously if they go from a 1 bowl to a 1.5 bowl you need appropriate trap otherwise use existing and replace seals if needed and just adjust pipework as necessary

Dead right squirrel, you can spend hours going through different sinks, bathroom suites etc and the customer doesn't see why they have to pay for that. I've also had customers not wanting anything I have shown them in brochures etc, time consuming and unprofitable.

Hmm. I see what you're getting at. But say saw a customer the other day wanted to replace his sink with a granite one in black, not much works-surface around sink and partitions in the way of bowls in cupboard so sizing needs to be quite accurate.. I don't see it as an option to allow them to choose one because they'll be wasting my time when it doesn't fit. But then I also think if I add money on for my time measuring and researching one they'll think the quote is too high.

So I guess the answe is ...if you're busy quote high / pass on the job .. if you're not suffer the faff for faff all cash

So I guess the answe is ...if you're busy quote high / pass on the job .. if you're not suffer the faff for faff all cash

I think thats one way of putting it but if your spending an hour with the customer trying to work out what they want, an hour in the suppliers ordering it a week waiting for it to turn up then collecting it and another week waiting to get in and do it.

This time has got to be worth something, I don't think its quote high and pass it on, its about whats fair and realistic.

If you do all the ground work, tell him exactly whats needed and quote eg. £150 labour thats expensive, I go in and I'm told exactly what he wants and told it'll definetly fit (you've done my ground work) I'll quote £100. I win but have done no work to get it.

You do all the ground work and the customer does it themselves.

My point is if I'm looking at a job I'll be as unhelpfully helpful as I can. I try and never give away too much for the above reasons. I want the job at a fair price for the work I put in.

what i do is measure the existing sink and try and get the new one to be as close as possible to that and take it as read that the worktop will need altering and factor that into the price. if they want two bowl where there was one before i make sure there is enough room. i would say that three hours was enough allowing for any eventualities.

what i do is measure the existing sink and try and get the new one to be as close as possible to that and take it as read that the worktop will need altering and factor that into the price. if they want two bowl where there was one before i make sure there is enough room. i would say that three hours was enough allowing for any eventualities.

I think I differ from a few people here, if I was quoting this job I'd say half a day, Starting at 8.30 finishing at 11.30, I'd have to be really lucky to get something for one hour, if, I managed to do it in 2 there would be a discount for goodwill, I suppose though depends on your day, half day and hourly rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is replacing a kitchen sink as faffy as I make it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock