Search the forum,

Discuss Is plumbing worth getting into? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

greg_birmingham

I am currnetly a marketing executive and sick of the sales and marketing environment. I am looking at changing my career and getting into plumbing. I am 34, is it worth getting into?

no.
personally i think electrician. think of the work scope and working practices.
arm down a bog or new living room light?.

I am currnetly a marketing executive and sick of the sales and marketing environment. I am looking at changing my career and getting into plumbing. I am 34, is it worth getting into?

id go and learn tiling more money and less red tape to deal with

You will enjoy it more than being a marketing exec but the pay will be waaaaaay less dont belive the money hype plumber thing!
Am making more on the tiling last months turnover. If you retrain now you are looking at a loss and dont expect more than ÂŁ8000 in your first year! anyone know anyone who retrained as a locksmith??

now then locksmith - way to go.
something i have always had an interest in since i was about 14, cracking locks on cars and houses etc, paid well too:D
love to know the skills on a short course if any one knows one.

think about this:eek:, father-in-law locks house keys in car boot, calls my uncle a plumber, 73 and good at every thing, starts to drill back door lock, its drill-proof. throws a brick in window charges him ÂŁ60, calls next day with new window and lock-2 hours later another ÂŁ120, way 2 go.:eek:

Well after you have trained up and decide to go self employed before you do any plumbing,you will have to get back to sales and marketing :D

I love my trade,probably spent to much time at it when I should have been at home with my family :(
I now do electrical work as well when needed.You may be better off learning electrical work
I do tiling as well when needed,from when I used to do bathrooms and you may be better off learning tiling
I do other things,when I was a lad,plumbers did glazing ,thats why the best trade is plumbing,so many other trades have evolved from it
and yes if you said to me for the rest of my life I could run a new light or fix a bog,I would go for the bog
Because I am a plumber and proud of it ! ;)

I wish you luck in what ever road you choose greg

Thanks for all of your feedback, you've certainly given me food for thought. Greg

not at the moment to many plumbers chasing to few jobs .there are not 30,000 jobs for plumbers going begging even the polish plumbers are going home

If plumbing is what you want to retrain in then go for it....All trades are feeling the pinch not just plumbers..so ignore the negative feedback if it's what you want to do..

if you wanna do it cos it sounds like something you enjoy then go for it, but if its cos of the money i wouldnt bother. become a locksmith. i recently found out there is only one locksmith in my area and he is the only one within a 30 mile raduis. apparently hes pretty well off, even tho he drives around in a right old banger lol. looks can be decieving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is plumbing worth getting into? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock