Search the forum,

Discuss Is my flue installed incorrectly? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys and girls.

So…. Bought an apartment in a conversion rather than new build. Since buying it I’ve been experiencing headaches, sickness and dizziness. At the time I just thought I was coming down with something but then a TV engineer came to install an aerial in the loft and he showed me two pipes that aren’t even connected and these are the boiler flue. It doesn’t even look like they’ve ever been connected and they just won’t fit do you their locations. The engineer said to turn the boiler off immediately and contact gas safe which I’ve done. He said my headaches etc could be as a result of carbon monoxide going into the loft and slowly into my apartment through 3 loft hatches.

Gas safe as due to come out and have invited to engineer who signed off the installation to attend also. He’s called the developer who he worked on behalf on when the building was converted and they are saying that there is nothing wrong with the installation and telling me to cancel gas safe and just let their guy come out who is the same guy who signed it off.

Please can you review the attached photo and confirm that this is not installed correctly and that the boiler flue should be connected to outside so all fumes go out rather than into the loft space?
25E7A37F-8F21-48A7-96CB-449BC9E80EA1.jpeg

Also don’t let the engineer attend without gas safe there eg before they come

Can you post some more pictures of the boiler ?
I’m not currently able to live there due to no hot water / heating as not able to turn boiler on for obvious reasons so I can’t take any further photos. The boiler is in a cupboard and the photo posted is the flue directly above in the loft space

Have you been check out medically ?

we can’t be sure that someone other than the gas engineer isn’t at fault here looks like some work has been done to is it the roof as sign of water ingress.

Is that corrogated asbestos roofing sheet that the flue has been punched through? The photo isn't the clearest but I think I can see some sort of fibres.

Make sure the installer isn't allowed access before Gas Safe has inspected. They could be looking at criminal charges so will want to cover their tracks.

Looks to me as through the section going through the roof was not properly supported and restrained, got bent sideways and popped out of the lower section.

Is that corrogated asbestos roofing sheet that the flue has been punched through? The photo isn't the clearest but I think I can see some sort of fibres.

Looks to me as through the section going through the roof was not properly supported and restrained, got bent sideways and popped out of the lower section.

That's galvanised box corrogated steel decking / roofing, not asbestos, similar to the pic below.
It'll have insulation then probably a high performance Butyl membrane on top or cheapskate hot felt.

Looks like there's condensation under the roof sheet from P.O.C.s.

Looks like the flue was complete at one point with it having a mark to show depth and what looks like the shadow of where the seal was just below.
It may be that the roofer pulled the flue up when sealing the flashing around it, or maybe someone else has tried to lift it out.
If it had a bracket at the joint at least the flue wouldn't have fallen to the side.

roof deck sheet.PNG

Reply to Is my flue installed incorrectly? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock