Search the forum,

Discuss Is my drain meant to have a pool of sewage? (Domestic uphill pump) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

R

RichD28

Hi all,

I have a submerged pump in my drain (a Hippo 50) pumping uphill on my property to the sewage main. I've been noticing a bit of a sewage smell every so often e.g. after using the shower so lifted up the drain cover today to have a look. It looked like a septic tank in there being full of sewage. Please see the subsequent photo (apologies for external image link, will attach in a subsequent comment if I can):

I have arranged for a septic tank drainage company to come and drain it but in the meantime:

Can I check here this was definitely not the mode of operation for that type of pump (I e. To have a set level of sewage like a Weir that pumps away when it gets above a certain height). We had some trouble on the road with the mains getting blocked before Christmas (required the local water company to constantly drain out the main and eventually dig up to repair) which may have made my uphill sewage pipe block up too?

Hope you can help, image link again: PXL-20220129-172808383 - https://ibb.co/cr41b5L

Many thanks
RD

No not normal

The liquid level should be a lot lower and liquid not semi solid..

In normal use the level will rise untill the float switch on the pump, or fixed to the chamber side if separate, switches on the pump.
The pump will keep running and reduce the liquid level untill the switch drops below it's preset level and switches the pump off.

The tank will need flushing clean and the pump testing, the tank cleaning company should do that before they leave.
The pipe from your pump up to the sewer may need flushing out as well.

Reply to Is my drain meant to have a pool of sewage? (Domestic uphill pump) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock