Search the forum,

Discuss Is my circulation pump failing or my boiler control? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Viessmann Vitogas 100, installed about 17 years ago by a previous homeowner. It also is the boiler for hot water, so it runs all summer in hot water only mode. I’ve turned the heating component back on, but it’s not working properly. It would appear the circulation pump stops working. It is a Grundfos UP 36-64 F.

Here’s what I’ve observed.

I come home or wake up and the house is below temperature and the boiler is cold. The system is not calling for heat, but should be. The hot water tank is below the set temperature. (When in hot water only mode the system behaves fine)

I power cycle the boiler, and it starts up and heats the boiler and calls for heat. The circulation pump starts and everything works. Hot water tank starts heating. I goto bed, leave, do whatever and at some point I come back and the house is cold. Repeat.

I have two of the pumps, one for hot water to circulate through through the Vitocell, and one for heating. The Vitocell pump has a light that is perfectly solid when it runs. The heating pump light isn’t as bright and flickers a bit. However it’s done this for 4 years that I’ve been in the house. When it’s flicking, it’s getting 117-120V, the same that is coming into the wall mounted control unit.

I ran a relay test this morning and it comes off and on as I test the system.

Part of my problem is the house is getting knocked down in the spring for a new build so I’m hesitant to spend money on this system.

Interestingly while typing this the system shut off the gas and heating cycle despite the house not being up to temperature. About 20 seconds later is has started up again. Boiler is going up but not calling for the pump yet. About 2 mins later the system is calling for hot water circulation pump.

I Went to the remote control panel, it has the up arrow symbol so I believe it is calling for circulation but the main unit panel is not showing the same up arrow (I’m also unable to find all the symbol meaning in ny manual so may be confused on what it’s calling for) and the circulation pump is not running.

Reply to Is my circulation pump failing or my boiler control? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My disabled daughter’s hot water has stopped working. It’s a relatively modern Potterton boiler with an indirect sealed hot water system and a Nest controller. I’m familiar with the old gravity and pumped hot water systems and the new direct systems but not with sealed systems. Recently...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a heating system circulation pump for a domestic install, with 3 speeds, where the speed can be toggled electrically as well as via a push switch on the pump body. I'm using this pump with a wood boiler stove, where I want to run the pump at its slowest...
Replies
Views
I have an older gas boiler HW heating system with a taco circulator pump for each zone that worked fine last season. When turning it on for the 1st time this season I found a problem with the boiler not running on one of the zones. If I turn on the heat to zone 1 I hear the system...
Replies
Views
C
Hi everyone, My flat is located next to a communal boiler with a hot water circulator pump ( Grundfos UPS 15-50N Secondary Hot Water Circulator ). The pump is noisy and vibrating. Would installing a more powerful pump solve the problem? Many thanks for your help!
Replies
Views
ChristineLondon
C
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock