From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Is lack of tanking plasterboard enough to force redo of job? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

king of pipes

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Put it down to experience mate you have been treated badly but this cannot be resolved by the current contractor, the list above is more than enough to pursue a full refund + damages, just beware of getting stung again and keep a close eye on the new installer I would go as far as a full breakdown of what they intend to do what materials will be used in the shower area . But of luck kop

C

Chuck

Luckily I said I'd leave one after the works were done (and I still haven't done so) but I definitely should have seen a red flag there. I can be so naive...
Under no circumstance leave him a review positive or negative if you intend to take him to Court. Judges don't like cases that have already been argued in public. You're at risk of taking this all too personally. Get the work redone by someone competent. Claim the costs from the original contractor, which may be more than he actually charged you but he can still be liable in some circumstances. Enjoy a nice shower in your new bathroom and move on.

OP
D

DIYnoob

Under no circumstance leave him a review positive or negative if you intend to take him to Court. Judges don't like cases that have already been argued in public. You're at risk of taking this all too personally. Get the work redone by someone competent. Claim the costs from the original contractor, which may be more than he actually charged you but he can still be liable in some circumstances. Enjoy a nice shower in your new bathroom and move on.
Oh no I'm not intending to leave a review before going to court (if it came to that), until this is all finalised any review wouldn't tell the full story anyway.

O

oz-plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Can you not contact the original installers insurance company.
It may be an easier task than going to court.

They may just pay you a sum that they deem will be sufficient to cover the costs of the defective works.

No matter which way you go, you will never recover the full costs, it may be worth trying to get as much as you can and put the losses down to experience

OP
D

DIYnoob

Can you not contact the original installers insurance company.
It may be an easier task than going to court.

They may just pay you a sum that they deem will be sufficient to cover the costs of the defective works.

No matter which way you go, you will never recover the full costs, it may be worth trying to get as much as you can and put the losses down to experience
Well, I've sent him a letter before claim today asking for a refund within 14 days. Hopefully I won't have to make a claim but we'll see. I did also say I was willing to consider mediation/ADR

He's a sole trader so is personally liable so we'll see what he comes back with.

Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Well, I've sent him a letter before claim today asking for a refund within 14 days. Hopefully I won't have to make a claim but we'll see. I did also say I was willing to consider mediation/ADR

He's a sole trader so is personally liable so we'll see what he comes back with.
But if he has no assets of value then you are limited with how much you will be able to recoup.

Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Gas Engineer
I know. Can only see what happens next.
👍

Just avoid throwing good money after bad. The small claims is fairly straightforward to navigate without having to fork out for legal help, but if after a court judgement he still refuses to pay up I'd cut my losses if I was in your shoes rather than spending money on debt collectors/bailiffs.

king of pipes

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Persistence is the key here don't get fed up and think your getting know where and give in , you've sent the letter now plan your next move always keep copies of everything and a diary of contact between yourself and the contractor or a third party once court proceedings kick in , its not nice being taken for a fool and any reputable plumbing contractor would not treat you this way. Kop

OP
D

DIYnoob

Hi all, just a positive update on this. Following my pre-action letter requesting a full refund, the fitter responded with a pretty laughable offer, then a higher one before I finally got him to agree to an even higher one which is almost all of my money back. I do get to keep the enclosure which is probably still usable and it avoids the court fees too. So I'm happy.

Thanks so much for all of your advice - I've made sure the next trader has better credentials and I'll be keeping a close eye on the works!

king of pipes

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, just a positive update on this. Following my pre-action letter requesting a full refund, the fitter responded with a pretty laughable offer, then a higher one before I finally got him to agree to an even higher one which is almost all of my money back. I do get to keep the enclosure which is probably still usable and it avoids the court fees too. So I'm happy.

Thanks so much for all of your advice - I've made sure the next trader has better credentials and I'll be keeping a close eye on the works!
Glad you got a result . Regards Kop

Reply to Is lack of tanking plasterboard enough to force redo of job? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads