Search the forum,

Discuss Is it worth adding a magnetic filter to an older gas boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

J

james63

I have an old (~2006) Potterton powermax boiler. It's a gas system boiler with a small unvented cylinder in one small package, in a flat. Because of the location in the flat it's going to be very difficult or maybe impossible to replace so I want to try to get it to last as long as possible. In ~2016 it had a full strip down for an out of warrenty safety recall repair, and has been running great since then.
Is it worth getting a magnetic filter filtered and having cleaner and inhibitor treatment? I thought it would be, but was talked out of it by the first plumber I spoke to.

Radiators fitted were quite high end I think and the system is still working well. I know it won't last forever but if the magnetic filter doesn't do any harm and could give it a couple of years / protect the heat exchanger I thought it would be worth it. Because of the difficulty of replacement I will be looking to keep it going as long as possible even when parts get very expensive (pumps, PCBs etc.). But also I know sometimes stirring things up can make it worse so I wouldn't want that. But again I thought if the magnetic filter is fitted first, before the cleaning cycle, it should catch most of the stuff and not risk the heat exchanger.

In general I would say yes it's worth fitting one and also inhibitor but if the syst is clean, water quality is good and hasn't had any drain downs or topups then it may be pointless.
In some situations I would only recommend doing it alongside other works, as and when it becomes necessary.

Thanks very much. In this case no other work is necessary at the moment, I'm just concious that the boiler is getting near end of expected life and replacing it will be difficult or impossible (many flats in the development have had to move to wet electric) so thought that might factor in the decision to prolong it as long as possible.

I understand that a new boiler would probably need to be moved to a bedroom because the flue run from the internal cupboard where it's currently sited is too long and the ceiling void is not high enough to support the drop angle now required.

I've seen a few with boxed in flues and they don't look bad.
A few manufacturers do twin flues at around 80mm which would allow a better fall.
There are usually options just most go for the easy one (especially if rented).
I would maintain that it's prob not worth it just for adding a filter.
If you were to have the system flushed and balanced I'd say thats good maintenance and fitting a magnetic filter at that time would be a good idea.

Reply to Is it worth adding a magnetic filter to an older gas boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock